Chapter Thirteen

It has been a few days since Niamh went to stay with Jim and Luca. Niamh is on the basketball court in Jim and Luca's neighbourhood. She's having a one-on-one game with Luca whilst Jim and Charlie are sat on the bench talking. Niamh has just scored another basket brining the score to 10-4 to Niamh. She picks the ball up from the ground.

'I thought you said you were no good at basketball?' Luca laughs.

'I'm not.' Niamh shrugs. 'I used to play netball, so I'm just using some of my techniques from that.' She adds, chucking the ball to Luca.

'Why don't we take a break?' Luca suggests.

'Good idea.' Niamh nods. They both walk over to where Jim and Charlie are sat and sits with them.

'So, who won?' Jim asks.

'I did.' Niamh replies, grinning.

'Atta girl.' He grins back, holding up his hand and Niamh high fives him. Luca just shakes his head.

'We were just talking about arrangements for when the restraining order is served.' Charlie informs Niamh. 'You'll have to go back to the group home but you can stay with Jim and Luca every weekend if you want.'

'I'd like that.' Niamh smiles and nods.

'If you want to stay with them any other time, you have to run it by me and let whatever co-workers are on know, just like you do when you want to stay with William.' Charlie adds.

'Okay.' Niamh nods.

'Then it's settled, we will sort out paperwork tomorrow.' Charlie also nods. He stands up. 'I have to go and check up on some other kids but I will be by tomorrow.' They all say goodbye and he leaves.

.

It has been another few days, Niamh is sat in the guidance counsellor's office doing her English Literature work when there's a knock on the door. The guidance counsellor stands up from her desk and walks over to the door. She opens it and Mr Cartright walks in with Charlie.

'The Shaws have been served the papers and escorted off school premises.' Charlie tells her.

'Thank god.' Niamh sighs with relief.

'Were they really a danger to you?' Mr Cartright questions.

'Yes.' Both Niamh and Charlie say at the same time.

'How were they a danger to you?' Mr Cartright asks.

'That's none of your concern.' Niamh mutters.

'Niamh, the school can't support you if we don't know what's going on?' Mr Cartright states.

'When I was first diagnosed with PTSD and had my first episode in school, you told me that I didn't have to tell you anything, that it was all up to me.' Niamh responds. 'I'm choosing not to tell you.'

'So they're the reason behind your PTSD.' Mr Cartright catches on. 'Look, Niamh,' he sighs, 'I get that, but they deserve an education too. We could have placed them in classes as far away as possible from you.'

'Another school is as far away from me as possible.' Niamh responds. She stands up and packs her stuff into her bag. 'I don't even know why you're trying to defend them, you don't even know what they did.' She barges past the two men and leaves. The guidance counsellor and Mr Cartright go to follow her but Charlie stops them.

'Leave her be.' He tells them. 'You'll only make the situation worse.'

'We want to help her.' The guidance counsellor states. 'But we can't do that if we don't know what triggers her.'