Part 5

"This is your last chance to say no." Matthew was leaning in the doorway of my hut, watching me double-check my bag to see if I have everything I need for my journey to visit the MacFusty clan.

"And I will tell you like every day for the past 3 days that I am not changing my mind. I need to do this, Matt. I can't sleep at night because I don't know why Asterin is acting as she is. She couldn't just be abandoned. The markings on her wings and head are proof of that and after being here for over 2 months she is still absolutely terrified." I sighed. "And because you won't allow me to see her since she hurt me, she has been completely alone – just eating and sleeping."

I wanted to look at him and frown but I knew he was right and only wanted to keep me alive. If it was up to me I would go back to her habitat and work with her the second I could walk properly again. Matthew nearly had to glue me to the bed and make me promise 5 times that I won't sneak out to go and see her.

Even though my back was still sore and I wasn't completely healed, I convinced my boss to let me go and see the MacFusty's. This injury has been by far the worse one I endured since I started working here 10 years ago but I don't blame her for it.

Did I almost die? Yes. Do I think she did it intentionally? No.

During the two months I spent in the hospital I have been coming up with a plan for what will I say to the family when I get there. Matthew wrote to them on my behalf and they were more than happy to welcome me and give me accommodation for the time being.

"I just need a favor from you before I go." I zipped my bag and looked up at him.

"Why do I have a feeling I will want to say no to what you're going to ask of me but you won't let me?" Matt raised his eyebrows.

"I want to see Asterin," I said determinedly.

"No way. Charles, you do remember the reason why you were laying in the infirmary for the past two months, right?" Matthew furrowed his brows.

"You do remember why I am going to Scotland in the first place, right?" I playfully rolled my eyes at him.

"You and your Sagittarius adventurous spirit will be the end of you one day, Charles." Matthew sighed but didn't say anything else.

"Does that mean I can see her?" I almost jumped on the spot.

"You would sneak out and go and see her even if I told you not to so why did you even ask?"

"Yeah, you're right," I smirked and walked past him with my bag.

"Your portkey leaves in an hour though!" He shouted after me but I only waved and hurried to the dragon.

I put my bag down next to the edge of her habitat and carefully moved forward. Even though I knew that Asterin had a reason to attack me I was still a bit nervous to see her. I didn't know how she'll react when she catches the sight of me and I was hoping she wouldn't want to repeat what she did 2 months ago.

"Asterin, where are you, girl?" I swallowed thickly, trying to steady my shaking voice.

The second she heard me I could feel the ground shaking with her stomps.

"Here you are! I am sorry I didn't visit you for such a long time."

Asterin replied with a roar straight to my face but she kept her distance.

"I know you haven't seen me in two months. You probably didn't miss me as much as I missed you but I hope you did – at least a little bit. I am just here to tell you something, mind if I sit down?" I asked with my head bowed, my heart drumming in my chest.