Chapter One

[It is three days before the Fire Nation celebrates its official Avatar Day; an adapted tradition from the colonies, instituted on the anniversary of the Hundred Year War's end by Fire Lord Zuko. Festivals are hosted across the continent in preparatory jubilee, which Tai-Lee intends to take full advantage of while on her double-date.]

Pipsqueak: That's a lot of food-stands...

Tai-Lee: But of course! They've got the widest variety of the Fire Nation's culinary finest!

Suki: Let me guess, you plan to take advantage of the Fire Lord's tab?

Tai-Lee: Of course not; my parents are rich!

[She tosses a small pouch to Suki.]

Tai-Lee: There are about twenty gold pieces in there. We'll split up, grab dinner, and meet up in the central plaza. Don't have too much fun!

[Tai-Lee leaves with Pipsqueak, eyeing him greedily.]

Jet: So, you're from around here, right? I'll bet you know what's good.

Suki: I'm actually from the Earth Kingdom. I haven't been around long enough to tell the difference.

Jet: (Shrugs.) No worries. We can check the stand that's most crowded, and see if it's worth the wait.

Suki: The most crowded?

Jet: The more people around, the more popular it's gotta be.

Suki: Oh. Hey... can I ask you a question?

Jet: (Lets out a long sigh.) Sure.

Suki: I... I understand if you don't want to talk about it, but-

Jet: It's fine. When Pipsqueak brought me to the Fire Nation... I wasn't expecting so many people to talk to me about my death. It's still mostly a blur, but... I think I remember enough to tell you what happened. It's been enough for everyone who's asked, anyway.

Suki: I'm all ears.