༒ 𝙾𝚗𝚎: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙿𝚞𝚙𝚒𝚕 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚅𝚘𝚕𝚞𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚛 ༒

__

Artem POV:

"Thank the worlds that lady was there to help me."

I quickly check the mirror on my look, fixing up all the wrinkles on my t-shirt.

"That was embarrassing... That lady was probably passing by here... Please say she was."  I think to myself as I wash my hands.

I sigh tiredly and walk out of the restroom. I look around the corridors of the orphanage, there were photos in frames neatly arranged on the walls.

"I wonder why they need our help? The staff and kids look pretty okay to me."

My mind wanders off as I continue down the hallway, Hume's voice snaps me out of my trance.

"Artem! C'mon! We don't have all day," he says as his hands gesture for me to walk closer, "Anyways, Ms. Vantourin this is my pupil, Artem Wing. If you don't mind he'll be assisting and learning from me during this case."

I face down to the old woman that Hume was speaking to and wave to her, "Pleasure to meet you Ms. Vantourin, I hope my help will be beneficial to you and your orphanage. You can call me Artem." I speak.

"Oh my, such a gentleman! Thank you, I'm glad Neil and you can help the Orphanage." Her voice was soft and came out in a mumble.

Hume smiles at me, and I smile softly.

-

"And ever since my wife passed years back the orphanage has been relying on the Trinorth company for funding," Mrs Vantourin spoke, "It wasn't until six months ago that a decrease in the amount of funding to the orphanage occurred. We've been barely scraping by, and most of our workers have left due to a lack of payment. I don't want my wife's lifework to end like this..." Her eyes are glossed with tears, which begin to trickle down her face.

"Wait... I thought this was a scam?" I pondered to Hume who looked confused, "Ms. Vantourin, may you elaborate which part was the scam?"

She explains everything, how the contract had a thorough but brief letter about how much the orphanage was to be given, and what they would do in return. There were no fine prints or anything, the document was straightforward.

My gaze lands on Hume, and he stares back, my eyes pleading to him asking for some sort of answer. He looks away, discussing to course of action with Ms Vantourin.

"Okay, this might take longer than I thought," Hume sighs tiredly, "We will have to conduct further investigation on the company, as well as the orphanage"

Hume gestures to the old lady, signalling for her confirmation. She nods slowly, "If you need, you can discuss it with some of the other volunteers, but unfortunately only one came in today."

"Artem, you can go and talk to the volunteer," Hume says calming down and smiling, "I have more things to discuss with Ms. Vantourin."

I nod, stand up and walk out of the office.

-

I come back to the same hallway, this time... Gazing at the photos, my brain becomes intrigued about them. The photos capture the wide smiles and laughs of both adults and kids. A faint smile paints on my face as I look at the photo.

"Hello mister lawyer sir!" a small yet familiar voice visits my ears, "You seem to be looking at those photos for a long time!"

I look down to see the same little girl who woke me up earlier, this time wearing a sun dress decorated with floral patterns and a sun hat that could fit the palm of my hand. Her arm is extended to my pants leg as she grabs a hold of it with her tiny hand.