Hello, Brother

Lizzie and Josie followed Abigail to the front door for goodbye hugs, but only Josie asked, "Mommy, when can we come to work and see your toys?"

"You can come see the toys when you turn eighteen." Standing all the way up, she grabbed her bag. "Be good for Seline today, please."

Seline, the newly hired nanny, walked into the foyer with a smile. "Okay, you two, go get your swimsuits."

"Bye, girls!" Abigail called as they ran up the stairs. "Have a good day!"

"I saw the Monday to-do list. It looks pretty short," Seline said. "Are you sure there isn't anything else you need me to do after swim lessons?"

"You know, Alaric and I finally feel like the house is a little bit less like my frenemy turned best friend's childhood home down the street from mine which was burned to the ground and little more like a house we can live in until we buy one of our own. But the only reason that happened so fast was because we had your help." Abigail tilted her head to the side. "So, uh, really we just need one more of you. Any chance you're a doppelgänger?"

Seline furrowed her eyebrows, maintaining the same half serious half joking tone Abigail had used to ask, "Should I know what that is?"

"Not even remotely." Her phone went off again. "Okay, seriously, I thought my last boss was bad but this one is worse. Make sure no one drowns."

Seline smiled at her as she walked out of the door. "See you tonight." 

"Call me or Alaric if anything happens. Or if they, or you, need anything." Just before the steps, she paused. "And I mean anything. Even if it seems like nothing."

Taking hold of the door, she said, "Got it."

"Okay." Abigail took the first step. "Thank you."

The Armory. There was only one place she spent more time, home, and there was only one other place she wanted to be, home. With a look that she had seen in both places, her boss was waiting for her with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I know, I know. I'm late. I'm sorry. But hi, good morning!" She put down a coffee carrier and white paper bag on the only cleared off table in the room. "I brought coffee and donuts from our favorite place. They had those sandwiches that we used to have for dinner when we just couldn't handle the thought of another burger or frozen food. You know which ones I'm talking about, right? The ones that you love? Well, I got you one for lunch-"

"Rambling. You're rambling." Alaric nodded slowly. "What do you want?"

"Did I mention how good you look today? I mean, whew!" She put her hands on his biceps although his expression has not changed. "You've still got it."

"Abigail..."

She scrunched up her face. "I'm going to need the afternoon off so I can meet with Caroline."

Alaric sighed. "Okay."

"Okay? That's it? No rant about..." She searched his eyes. "Anything?"

"I mean, we moved back here to help-" One of the interns walked into the room. "Dorian!"

"We got something. Come on." They followed him down a dark hallway to the vault. "Georgie and I have been playing around in the vault for a couple weeks now, trying to figure out how someone could get out of it without anyone seeing. Now, she told me I shouldn't show you what we found until you tell us what supernatural thing escaped from it."

Alaric glanced at Abigail. "We told you, it's just a theoretical exercise. I've been running this place for only a couple months now, and I just want to know all about its nooks and crannies."