Chapter Six ~ The Hills and the Valleys

Cold, stormy wind lashed at Emira's face as she stood atop the east bulwark of Revelen. The breeze played with her cloak and ponytail, tossing them around wildly, and the clouds looked ready to pour at any moment. Next to her, stood her brother, who was glaring out at the dark, cloudy sky, watching the huge, black, scaly beast circling the fields below. The dragon was flying so close to where they stood that Emira could hear the beating of its giant wings above the raging wind. She glanced back behind her where the castle stood in the distance. At least it's far from the castle, she thought with relief. All along the wall were armored knights with bows and quivers full of arrows, ready to fire if given the command. At Emira's other side, stood Emira and Lassor's former mentor, General Cerise. The scarlet-haired general gazed out at the flapping, black figure in the sky with deep concern.

"Your majesties, you don't have to do this," she begged, turning to Lassor and Emira. "We have hundreds of men that can fight in your place."

"They don't stand a chance against a dragon, Cerise," Emira argued darkly, still gazing out at what would soon be her and Lassor's battlefield. "We don't have the strength or gear necessary. They're simply here for backup – in case the dragon gets too close."

For a moment, Cerise looked confused. She opened her mouth to question, but Lassor interjected, explaining further. "We're not fighting it. We're going to use this." He reached into his black cloak and grabbed out the dragon eye. The shimmering, amber orb, which fit perfectly into his hand, was sealed in a layer of glass to preserve it, since it was a real dragon's eye and not just a rare jewel like many assumed. "Bring us our mounts!" Lassor ordered to the knights.

Emira watched on her left as a pair of knights led along a wyvern and a scarlet roc by the reins. She walked over to her roc, Red Sky, and hopped up onto his back. With less effort, Lassor did the same on his wyvern, Valor. Another knight came over and handed a sharp, steel spear to Lassor, which he attached to his belt with a leather loop. Then then handed a bow and quiver to Emira that she slung onto her back.

"Please be careful," Cerise pleaded, still looking very concerned.

"We will," Emira promised. She turned to look at Lassor and they both nodded simultaneously.

They were ready.

She gently nudged her mount with her heel, once, and Red Sky took off promptly.

The cold air stung the bare skin on her face as Red Sky sped up. Its sure cold out here, she thought, shivering. Lassor and Valor caught up quickly, and the two of them soared side by side as they approached the dragon.

When they came within a few miles of the beast, Emira tugged up on the reins and the roc veered upwards sharply. Emira began finding it harder to breathe as Red Sky came to a steady hover high above the gliding dragon. Balancing on her mount, Emira carefully took out her bow, slid in an arrow and pulled back on the string. She closed one eye, took a deep breath, and aimed the arrow tip down at the dragon's head. But just as she was about the let go, the dragon reared back suddenly, letting out a deafening, blood-curdling roar.

She watched as Lassor raced towards the dragon, holding out the eye in front of him. The beast breathed out a red-hot plume of fire in his direction, but Valor swerved out of the way. Dang it, Lassor! she thought angrily. What are you doing!? You were supposed to wait for me!

Abandoning the they had agreed on, she slung her bow over her back and swooped down to join him.

Lassor was aggressive, even getting close enough at one point for the dragon to attempt to bite him. But his reckless activity seemed to be working. The closer he got with the eye, the more fearful the dragon became, rearing backwards to get away from him. Moving backwards a few flaps, Emira pulled out her bow again and drew back with an arrow. She waited until the dragon pulled away again, then let go.