18. she's with me

friday,
october 15th, 2020

EZRA GREYSTONE

"Oh God, Lo, I'm not sure..." I wince, over-analysing myself in the mirror Lola has hung on the back of her door in her dorm.

"What?!" she splutters, "Ez, you look gorgeous! Is it not comfortable?" she questions, almost as if she's wondering why on the green Earth I wouldn't wear such a pretty dress.

And it is a pretty dress— actually, it's stunning. But I just don't know if it suits me.

"No, no," I mutter, "It is comfy. It's soft and stretchy, but..." I sigh, pinching the hem between my stubby fingers, tilting my head at my reflection, "Does it even look good on me?" I quietly worry, not used to wearing dresses at all, especially short ones.

The satin dress accentuates my mild curves and I feel like every dip and bump of my skin is visible, but I'm probably overthinking it.

Lola sighs, approaching me and wrapping an arm around my waist, leaning her head on mine as she admires the pair of us in the mirror.

"Ezra, you look really pretty," she says, with such a sense of confidence in her tone, "I'm not just saying that because you're my favourite person in the world. I'm saying it because it's true— and plus, you know I'd tell you if you looked like shit."

Lola flashes her cheesiest grin in the mirror and I scoff out a chuckle, shaking my head because I know that last part is true.

"Thanks Lo," I whisper, leaning into her more, "You look great too."

She does, she looks lovely. She's wearing a tight, black mini dress with a pair of white Doc Marten's on her feet. Her straightened hair is flowing graciously down her back and she rocks a red lip.

The dress I wear, which Lola has given to me for the night, is paired with my favourite pair of boots. They're flat, with thick platforms and I actually feel averagely tall tonight. They're black, a faux leather, and my mother gifted them to me last Christmas.

"Okay, I better do something to this face of mine and sort out my hair to make sure we even get into the bar tonight," I giggle, actually half excited to go out for once considering Lola really has fed my ego to its highest height.

The bar we're going to is over 21s, but my outrageous friends have decided that we'll be welcomed with open arms. Of course, I feel like I don't have much of a say in the matter so once the idea was initiated, I stayed quiet whilst thinking of backup plans.

Lola tells me she'll come to my dorm once she figures out which jacket to wear, so I bid her goodbye for now and walk a few doors down to my own room. Once inside, I settle myself on the large window sill, my mirror which I usually keep in the bathroom in front of me. I use my minimal makeup collection to attempt to make my face look slightly prettier, and when it comes to lips, I decide that a lip oil will suffice.

I tidy my room a bit and spray some of my new perfume before sitting at my desk with said mirror, pondering what to do with my hair. I have very few hair products, but I use what I can to secure a slicked back bun low on my head. I wear a butterfly necklace, one that Oliver bought me years ago, and some dainty hoops in my ears. My rings are never taken off.

Just as I'm sifting through my clothing rail to find a suitable jacket, my door swings open and my four friends pile inside.

"Ezra Theo!" Leo greets me, wrapping an arm around my torso and landing a wet kiss on my temple.