Chapter IV

Zirconia swept back her glossy hair in the passenger seat of Killian's black Mercedes, uncovering a décolletage laden with Swarovski crystals and the architectural neckline of her black velvet evening dress. Outside, night had fallen, but the blue embers of gloaming had not yet capitulated to midnight. In front of them, guests dressed in formal attire ascended the steps of a grand entranceway hewn in white stone. They were about to enter the evening charity soirée.

"So, how did the test run Gigawatt go?" she asked.

Killian pulled the keys out of the ignition and stashed them in the pocket of his black suit trousers. He looked up at his handsome reflection in the rearview mirror and adjusted the positioning of his black bowtie. Golden cufflinks buttoned into the sleeves of his evening jacket flashed, catching the rays from the fairy lights that had been strung up around the parking area.

"As expected, he brought her," he replied.

Zirconia looked smug. "See, I told you. There'd be no one else for him to bring."

He turned to face her. "My girlfriend could be a mind-reader."

"That's why your girlfriend," she pointed out, "is going into poli-sci."

"Time for the next phase?"

"Yes..." The corners of her lips curled upward like a jackal's. "You've still got that Ned Asper hooked?"

"Of course, he was the one who delivered the invitation."

"Good. And he'll also be the one to oversee initiation."

"Usually, the older bros do that..."

"No." She pointed a French-tipped finger at his chest. "You stay out of it this time. We're not going to run the risk of being tagged as accomplices."

"Send it through one of the messengers?"

"Don't. Call in debt collection. Fewer questions asked. Less room for leaks. Less incentive for anyone to snitch."

Killian scowled. "Someone else might spring the leak."

Zirconia whirled. "Who? Nobody could without ratting out themselves first."

"It's that freak."

"The new freak?"

"Yes," he answered, "the guys going to the Gigawatt saw that emo on the street and had to clean things up."

"Then it's all good?"

"Not quite. The freak's friend saw and might've called the police. They had to bolt."

"Any police come?"

"No."

"It might've been a ruse." She leaned against the leather seat. "Oh my god, can't believe the freak has a friend. That is Earth-shattering news."

"And I think it's her," Killian said quietly.

"What do you mean, her?"

"They said they thought that girl was wearing orchid purple."

Zirconia thought for a moment. "You're right. No one else wears stuff like that. It must've been her."

"You think she'd say anything?" he asked.

"Aren't you more worried the freak's gonna say something? That weirdo won't have any more skin in the game after graduation. Perfect time to let out a bomb like that, right?" Zirconia waved her braceleted arms around.

"But if she already knows about..." Killian whispered.

"Good point, it'll just be fanning the flames." Zirconia slumped in the leather seat. "Speaking of flames, we should start some fires about her—fan some rumors to smoke her out. Good Lord! Why does that little girl have to cause so much trouble?"