Chapter 9

Unsticking a sticky situation was very complex with any man-hating female. Especially with Lady Artemis. But somehow, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be like.

"Lady Artemis, I'll tell you," I said. "But can you please get off of me?"

"You can't tell me what to do, boy."

"What, you want to stay on me?" I said, letting my sarcasm slip out. "I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you're not supposed to do."

Artemis glared at me for opening my mouth, but then reluctantly realized I was correct and jumped off quickly, as though I was infected with a disease. I slowly got up, taking my time.

While I was doing this, I realized what was different about Artemis. Whenever I saw Artemis—whether on the battlefield or on her throne—she was always in her twelve-year-old form, and I had to look down at her.

But in the intimate position I had found myself in with her not too long ago, her head was level with mine, and I could feel her feet next to mine.

So I was only half surprised when I saw her standing in front of me, in a form where she was about the same physical age as me. I barely noticed the expectant look for my explanation on her face, because I was too distracted.

Too distracted with her beauty. 

With her lean, muscular, but curvy figure Artemis had a perfect physique, even more enhanced by her hunting gear. Her auburn curls framed her beautiful face just like a golden frame would frame an enthralling painting. Her face took my breath away; her gorgeous eyes of liquid silver, followed by an aristocrat nose that looked to be carved out of marble; her pink, luscious lips, and her pale skin almost making me faint on the spot. If I didn't know who she was, I would probably peg her as Aphrodite.

"What . . . why . . ." I stammered out, her hypnotizing eyes trapping me. "Why are . . . why are you in you in that form?" 

Lady Artemis looked down at herself, and her eyes widened, as though she hadn't purposely done it. She quickly changed to her twelve-year-old form, finally letting my brain function properly.

"Well, Jackson?" Artemis asked, playing with one of her silver daggers in a threatening way. "Are you going to tell me?"

Throughout all my experiences, Lady Artemis had become a bit more experienced and familiar with me. Instead of speaking to me coldly and unfairly, she spoke as though I was a classmate she had never met; in other words, nicer, but still, not very friendly. For Lady Artemis, it was still a lot of progress, though: she probably never spoke this nicely to a male before.

Considering that she tried to kill me, I didn't know about where we stood anymore.

So I quickly explained everything, and why I had brought Amelia into the forest. Throughout the explanation, Artemis looked unconvinced, and at the end, she sighed. "You males are all the same, aren't you?"

Trepidation began to pool in my stomach.  "I didn't—"

"Expecting me to believe whatever you say," she continued vehemently, with a predatory glint in her eyes. "But I've been immortal for many millenniums, and I. Don't. Believe. You." She stepped forward and poked me in the chest with every single word. "Goodbye, Jackson. I had a bit of hope in you, but I guess I wasn't correct."

Then, in a flash, Artemis kicked me in the chest, knocking the wind out of my chest and making me fall to my knees. For a twelve-year-old, she kicked very hard. She then shrugged of her bow and nocked an arrow, aiming for my head.

"Wait!" I exclaimed, still trying to gain my breath. "I . . . swear . . . to the . . . Styx . . . that I said . . . the truth." 

Thunder crashed in the background, but this time it wasn't Zeus. Artemis paused and looked at me, as though  she expected me to collapse in a heap of ashes.

After a few seconds, she looked disappointed, as though she wanted me to be a corrupt male. When I didn't she sighed again, and pulled me up, slinging her bow back on her shoulder. She tugged so hard, my shoulder felt as though it was threatening to come out of its socket.

"Well, Jackson, you haven't disappointed me today. I'll be taking the girl back to Chiron." With that, Artemis disappeared into thin air, taking her powerful aura and Amelia—who was still sleeping—with her.

Did Artemis just let me go? I thought, shocked. Even though I had said she became more familiar with me, at the end, she talked to me like I was her friend. Since I was . . . well, myself, I decided to let it go and just do the next thing on my list:

Find some answers.