Part 6

The group talked politics – as well as whiskey, cigars, and tailors – for almost half an hour before the conversation came around to the business at hand. The three older men then repeated most of what Shizuka had said the day before about the plane deal, but included a few more pieces of information: the plane was indeed primarily going to be used for military purposes, the Nakajima company would be producing the planes here in Japan with help from American engineers and mechanics, and that day's meeting was primarily going to be led by the military. The Nakajima contingent was there to shepherd the meeting, assure everyone that the company could fulfill the manufacturing requirements, and go over the review process.

"If you have anything to say at that point," Shizuka told Kazuhiro, "that would be fine."

Kazuhiro clearly understood that he wasn't to talk at any other point in the meeting, which he was fine with. The conversation with the three Nakajima men was more than enough socializing outside of his usual circles for one day. He repeated his father's maxim in his head, over and over again, while trying to pay attention to the men's conversation.

"The army is footing the bill on this one, right?" Shizuka asked.

"The Ministry hasn't confirmed, but I believe it will be the navy," Fujimoto replied. "Which is good for us. The Juncker blueprint purchase didn't go so well for us with the army."

"So it'll be Sato in there today?"

"That's right."

"Good, he and I met in Tokyo a few weeks ago..."

Kazuhiro followed along the conversation but most if it appeared to be minutiae he wouldn't need to know since he was, after all, just there for a very short period of the meeting. He was looking forward to meeting more important men though, to absorbing as much as he could from this experience. Even if he didn't get the job, he'd at least get a peek at what this world looked like. If the quality of cigars were anything to go by, it was a very nice world indeed.

Another half hour later they received word the other groups were on their way. They moved over into another boardroom with a long, oval table in the middle. His father in law directed him to take a chair in the corner, which Kazuhiro did, then all four of them waited – much more upright and uptight, it had to be said – until both the Japanese military and Americans arrived all at once.

Shizuka greeted each man upon entering the room – two navy officers in their uniforms, a civilian man from the Ministry of War, two Americans and their translator – and was just about to close the door when a final man entered. Another American. Only this one Kazuhiro recognized at once.

"Ah, Ambassador Murphy," Shizuka bowed deeply in front of the mustached man who had given Kazuhiro the fist-full of dollars the day before, "I wasn't aware you would be joining us today. It is a great honour of course."

"Thank you for having me here," the man replied in his Osaka-tinged tone. "Mr. Shizuka, is it?"

"Yes that's correct. Please, join us at the table."

Kazuhiro tracked Murphy as he circled around the room, waiting for the moment he would spot Kazuhiro. That moment came just as he sat down, and for a second he wasn't sure whether he'd been made or not, as Murphy looked past him almost at once. Then the American did a quick double take and smiled widely at Kazuhiro, who bowed his head just slightly and smiled in return.

"Well, let's begin," Shizuka took his position at the front of the table. "Let's start with introductions, shall we?"

The military started the process, introducing one Captain, one Admiral, and an Executive Director for foreign purchases. The Americans were introduced by their translator as the lead of foreign sales for Vought Aircraft, and the lead designer of the airplane in question. Then the ambassador to Japan from the United States, who – in his halting, imperfect, but eminently understandable Japanese – explained he had just been on vacation in Shanghai and returned just the other day to find out this meeting was occurring, and that he thought it was an excellent opportunity to meet with important industry leaders while overseeing such an important piece of military and civilian coordination between their two countries.

Kazuhiro was extremely impressed by the easy way this foreigner slipped into diplomatic Japanese language, his use of the correct honorific keigo and parts of speech were quite involved for a foreigner. Kazuhiro had met many in his flights, especially in these past six months to Shanghai and back, but none of them had displayed Murphy's skill with the language.

Then it came around to introducing the Nakajima contingent. Kazuhiro tried to appear deferential and avoided drawing any attention to himself. He half expected his father-in-law to bypass him as an unimportant bystander. But he didn't.

"And finally, this is Mr. Watanabe Kazuhiro, who will be one of the civilian pilots we would like to bring on to evaluate the aircraft. He has flown every small and medium-sized Nakajima aircraft, and has hours in dozens of other planes as well."

Kazuhiro stood up and bowed to the collected table, acutely aware he was at least twenty years younger than everyone else there. He was also glad to have his father-in-law's permission to say nothing. At least, until Murphy said something to him.

"And also a brand new father, if I'm not mistaken," the American interjected as Kazuhiro went to sit back down. Kazuhiro snapped back up and looked back and forth between Murphy and Shizuka, waiting for a cue to reply, but Murphy beat him to it. "Mr. Watanabe was the pilot on my flight here from Shanghai," Murphy explained. "And he was quite excited that his wife had just gone into labour when he'd left yesterday morning. I take it everything went well Mr. Watanabe?"

Kazuhiro just nodded, a bit dumbstruck.

"So which was it, a boy or a girl?"

Kazuhiro glanced at Shizuka but knew he had to respond directly. "A girl, Mr. Murphy."

"Ah! I have two myself. Congratulations!"

Then the most miraculous thing happened. Murphy began to clap, and within seconds, the whole room was applauding Kazuhiro. Turning red from embarrassment and genuine pride, he couldn't help but smile wider than ever and bowed deeply. Then he sat down and was both relieved and jealous to see the meeting return to its original purpose.

The definition of best day ever was evidently a moving target.