8. flashbacks in coney island

u might possibly be finding out what happened between luce and zahra 👁 (which i'm pretty sure most of u have a good idea of already but we'll see 👁👁)

***

EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE HAPPENING simultaneously.

The people, the food, the ocean licking at the sand, the amusement park rides and massive skyscrapers all seem to paint the picture of Coney Island. The pure euphoria of summer in the air is tangible. 

The drive was about forty five minutes give or take, and the entire ride was filled with the same energy that the van seems to always be filled with— music, laughter, and grins—all creating this perfect mess.

By the time we arrived, we'd circled up and decided what we were going to do first. Eventually, Josiah, Sadie, and Azul settled on heading over to the stands to buy tickets while Elliot, Zahra, and I decided to claim a spot on the beach before they came back.

So, my feet sink into the sand as Elliot goes on a long tangent about his favorite rocks and Zahra and I listen intently. There's something about Elliot's passion for little pretty things that will always undoubtedly draw you in. 

He's talking about rose quartz when he suddenly comes to a halt, causing both Zahra and I to come to a halt as well.

"What's going on?" Zahra asks, and Elliot releases a curse.

"Shit." He trills his lips. "I forgot the bag I'm going to use to collect shells." 

"You could use the pockets of your shorts, maybe?" Zahra asks.

"Nah," Elliot says, exhaling a groan. "I always forget them when I put them there. And I don't want to crush them or lose them."

"Want us to come with you?" I ask, but Elliot waves a hand.

"I'll be back real soon. It's in the truck." He's already jogging back before I can say anything else, his violet t-shirt flickering behind him as he leaves. "Go on without me! I'll catch up," he calls out, and then he's gone.

So, after a quick exchange of glances, Zahra and I continue moving forward. My sundress billows with the slight breeze. Zahra's in these oversized jeans and a cropped t-shirt. Her arms swing by her sides as my arms wrap around my torso.

It's awkward enough when Zahra and I are alone on a daily basis, but given the fact that I all-too clearly remember saying stupid, incoherent shit last night—the awkwardness seems to have increased by tenfold and heat rises to my face.

I can barely remember getting home, but I do know that I fell asleep in the car and had to be walked to my room. I didn't even realize how exhausted I was until I finally got sleep. 

My mind flickers back to the present.

We pass by people talking, couples laying next to each other on blankets, parents calling out the names of kids who are sprinting and laughing as they fall in the sand. I glance over at Zahra from the corner of my eye.