Chapter 44

Written 10/1/21

My sight slowly started to come back to me. I could hardly feel anything. When my eyes finally opened, I realized where I was.

A hospital room. There was a machine that was beeping quietly. There something on my finger, I assumed to check my pulse. I covered by a blanket that went up to my waist, I felt like it was weighing me down.

Suddenly I heard yelling outside my door. There were two voices, but I couldn't understand what they were saying.

"I want to see my fucking wife!" I heard one of the voices yell angrily. I sat up from the bed.

"Cristiano?" I mumbled. I heard a loud slam, and then the door swung open. Cristiano came charging in, but when he saw me his whole demeanor changed. He almost looked...sad.

An old man, who looked like a doctor, came running in.

"You cannot be in here!" He said, with a thick Italian accent. Cristiano grabbed him by his white jacket and slammed him into the wall violently.

"Do you know who the fuck I am? Do you know what the fuck I could do to you right now? That is my wife, and I will see her whenever I want to!" Cristiano screams into the doctors face, then lets go off him, shoving him to the floor.

Cristiano comes over to me, suddenly calm again, and sits on the bed next to my legs.

"Wh-what happened?" I asked, scared and confused. Cristiano turns around and looks at the doctor.

The doctor hesitates before speaking.

"You...you had a miscarriage ma'am. You've lost a lot of blood."

I felt like my heart had stopped. Miscarriage?

"I don't understand. It-it's not possible. I wasn't p-pregnant." I stuttered out. Tears were welling in my eyes, and my tongue felt like it was swelling up from trying to hold them back.

Cristiano took my hand in his. That just made me want to cry even more. I could tell the doctor didn't want to keep talking, but Cristiano kept looking at him threateningly.

"You were only a few weeks along, you probably didn't have any symptoms yet." The doctor said, at this point he was practically shaking.

I didn't know what to say. I was pregnant? What happened in the shower, that was a miscarriage? I was asking myself so many questions I already knew the answers to. I couldn't admit what had happened to myself. And the realization of that broke me.

Tears started to flow down my face. I ripped my hand away from Cristiano's, and covered my face. I felt ashamed. Like it was my fault. I heard the doctor leave the room, and I rolled over on my side and cried my eyes out.

I had an actual baby inside of me. And I had lost it. I had failed as a Donna. I couldn't even look Cristiano in the eye.

I started to fall in and out of sleep. I felt exhausted. I just wanted this whole thing to be a bad dream, but it wasn't. It was real.

A few hours later

I woke up to see Cristiano sitting in a chair, looking at me. He had this concerned look on his face. I wondered why he wasn't angry with me. He had seemed more angry with the doctor. My eyes glanced to the window, it was getting dark outside. I could see little specs of snow falling from the sky.

"What time is it?" I asked Cristiano, sitting up.

"It's almost 8:00, you were asleep for a while." He says. I looked at him confused.