𝑜𝓃𝑒

I studied the movements of my biology teacher as she stared at the list of names in front of her. She had paired almost everyone in the class up with each other already. I was dreading the moment for her to say my name. The only four people left were me, Topper Thorton, Rafe Cameron, and Kiara Carrera. 

Kiara and I were best friends, Topper and Rafe were also best friends. I wasn't a fan of either of them much. I didn't have strong opinions on Topper, but I know Kie did. I wasn't a fan of anyone he hung around with though, so I never really cared to try to like him. 

As I look around at the already paired partners, I sigh to myself knowing my teacher is making them boy-girl. I never understood why teachers insist on making partners for their students, especially as seniors, you would think we would have a little more freedom. 

"Kiara Carrera and Rafe Cameron," 

As the words escape Ms. Miller's mouth I let go of the breath I was unaware I was holding. I felt relieved that I was at least not working with Rafe. I felt bad for Kiara, she hates him more than me probably, but it wasn't like I got lucky working with Topper anyways. 

"That leaves Isabella Martin and Topper Thorton as the last pair," 

I look over at the blonde boy as he already started walking over to me. I send a small smile his way and a sympathetic look towards Kiara. The teacher continues to explain the rules of the project as I watch Kie try to hold her composure with Rafe next to her. 

The project was our final for this class. There was one week left of school, and it was due the last day. We had to come up with an idea to help the environment. The only rules were no copying other people's ideas, and you aren't just allowed to pick up trash on beaches. Apparently it isn't creative enough. 

"So Bella, I'm assuming you already have tons of ideas," Topper laughs once we are given time to discuss. 

"I actually don't at the moment. I know Kiara will probably do a save the turtles thing, we could do something similar," I reply looking over at my best friend who is already beyond frustrated. She notices me and Topper looking and starts walking over to us. 

"I can't work with him!" She says in a panic. 

"I don't know why she even bothers coming to this school anyways, Go join the Pogues at public school," Rafe says to Topper then looking back at Kie. 

"You don't think I want to?" She argues back. 

Topper and I look at each other and then back at our friends. They were both glaring at each other. 

"I'm asking Miller to change partners, this is ridiculous," Kiara walks towards the teachers desk and the three of us watch her actions. We couldn't hear what was said, but based on the teacher's reaction we could tell it wasn't good. 

Kiara continues trying to talk to her as we wait. Rafe whispers something in Topper's ear and then looks back at Kie and Ms. Miller. Kiara throws her hands up in the air and then walks back over to me. 

"She wouldn't budge," She sighs. 

"Fuck this," Rafe replies. He turns his focus to his phone and Topper grabs my arm to pull me to a desk. I mouth an I'm sorry to Kiara as I follow Topper. 

The two of us start to brainstorm ideas of what we can do that would help the environment or had something to do with weather. I wasn't sure why this was the final for an AP biology class, but I figured it was better than something else. 

I already had straight A's, and with my current grade in this class, even if I get an F on this project, I would still graduate with above a 4.0. I wasn't too concerned with how the grade was with this, but I did want to help because I knew Topper's grades weren't very good. 

I heard his parents discussing colleges with mine. Something about them having to pay extra to get him in. 

"Why don't we do one of those storm predictors. I was watching the news and this Summer is supposed to be shit weather," He suggests. "I did one with Sarah freshman year, we just need like poles and a glass jar or something," 

Sarah was Topper's on again and off again girlfriend. The two of us were friends, she was also Rafe's sister. She was a year younger than us so she wasn't always with us. Kiara me and her used to be a group of three but something happened between them two, and they aren't close anymore. 

Kiara likes to spend most of her time on the cut. Sarah is more of a kook princess type, although recently been spending time with some Pogues. Although I am also a Kook, I don't really care what you classify yourself, as long you're a good person. 

I wasn't a fan of Rafe because of the way he treated people that he felt better than. Topper also hated Pogues, but became more neutral when Sarah cheated on him with one of them. Guess it kind of put him in his place. 

"Yeah, sure," I reply. Topper pulls out his phone and scrolls through his camera roll to the top. He shows me a few pictures of what he is talking about. We start jotting down ideas in my notebook and sketching out what we will do. 

After about fifteen more minutes of going over the basics of our assignment, the bell rings finally letting us go. 

"Alright guys, Have a great weekend! You will have the next few classes to work, it is due Thursday!" 

I swing my back over my shoulder and adjust my hair before walking out of the class. I usually would meet Kiara at my car and then drive us home, but because of the unfortunate event of her spending the rest of class with Rafe, I decided to wait outside the room for her. 

"Bella, I am going to kill him," I hear her voice as she grabs onto my arm. I laugh a little and we walk out towards the parking lot. 

"Was it really that bad?" 

"Worse than bad. I wish I didn't go to this stupid school," She sighs. The two of us reach my car and I unlock it before getting in. 

"What is your plan for the weekend Ms. Martin? Any parties I can let a few Pogues crash?" Kiara jokes as I start driving. Because I was very neutral on the Kook-Pogue issue, I hung out with both sides. I prefer kooks because that is where I felt safest, but I didn't mind Kiara's friends. 

Pope, John B, and JJ were okay. I had a crush on John B for a little at one point. He was like a bad boy who wasn't as bad as JJ. JJ was not my favorite out of the bunch. He was far more reckless and annoying than the others. Pope was quiet, very polite. His parents were nice too. 

"Well, Kelce is throwing a party at the boneyard, they can probably come," I reply. "It's at 7, I'm going with Sarah to distract from the possible Topper invasion," 

"If Sarah's going, I can definitely bring the boys. She'll want John B there," 

We continued to talk about tonights plans while I drove to the Carrera house. It was ten minutes from school, mine was fifteen, but in the opposite direction. I didn't mind driving though, it made me feel relaxed. The twenty minute or so drive home from Kiara's was always my favorite part of the day. 

Just me, my music, and the open beach road.