Chapter 4 - The Half Moon Calls the Darkness Out of Hiding

In the forests of Manali, the Raichands had made their next home. It was a special night for them tonight. Haseena spent the entire evening arranging Abhay's new room. Chand came in to check on her, gazing around the walls. The decor was set, and his large bookshelf arranged with utmost neatness. She turned back with a subtle smile, fixing the stands with candles around the corners of the walls.

"He's coming back, Chand. After a decade, our son is returning home."

Chand sighed, and shook his head. Of course, Abhay would be returning to them. Even he found it hard to stomach Abhay's absence. They had moved away from Dehradun immediately after the incident, unable to explain away Abhay's situation. The night after Piya's disappearance, they too departed without a trace. Her family thought that she had gone missing, and after much search, was presumed dead. Only they knew the truth, and gave her a proper burial on their behalf. They chose to place her grave close to Abhay, knowing that's what she would've wanted.

"They can give him his memory back. The elders."

"He himself demanded it to be wiped, Haseena. I don't think he would want to regain them."

Haseena pressed her lips together and cleaned a framed photo of Piya, one of Abhay's favorites, and placed it next to his bed. Chand squeezed her shoulder and picked it up again, folding the stand back.

"Chand, what are you doing?" She asked, taking the frame back from him.

"She's dead, Haseena. And he doesn't remember her. He barely remembers us." He folded his arms behind his back. "It will only cause him more confusion. Let him move on properly this time." 

Chand didn't want another problem. Maithili already caused enough havoc as is, and the effects lingered even after her execution. Haseena sighed, and kept the photo with her. It didn't feel right to get rid of it completely. Instead, she kept it safely in her own nightstand drawer. If Abhay ever asked for it, she would readily give it back. His love for Piya was quite special in its own right.

"Have you sent the letter?" She asked, affixing the last candle and setting it aflame. Chand nodded. "Good, we'll leave for Dehradun the day of."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abhay noticed something different about Piya when she came to visit him tonight, the night of the next phase of the moon, the half moon. Her appearances between the gradual return of his memories and now, were dotted with absences, and the joy and smile on her face was fading. He waited outside until he heard the chimes of her steps, just for her, sometimes staring at the trail of red spider lilies. More had grown in the past week. His heart sank. He didn't want her to go.

What will I do without you?

Eternity onward seemed empty and bleak without her. He couldn't do this again. One time was enough, he didn't have the strength for another two centuries in wait. 

When will we meet again? Will I be able to find you?

"What happened?" He asked softly, letting her hold the fabric of his shirt. The two sat on the floorboard of the porch, stargazing at the start. She shook her head and pressed her forehead to his chest. The spider lily in her hair waved under his chin, unsettling his heart. His hand moved to weave his fingers into her hair, but it all just slipped through.

She was slipping away from him too.

If not, I'll be here, waiting for you to find me.

Piya looked up, and kissed both his cheeks. Her eyes felt numb, wanting to cry but not able to produce tears. It was much more suffocating that way.