The Catch

It's Reaping day. The day they've all dreaded, the day they say goodbye to two innocent children. They say goodbye to children who are being sent off to kill each other and more children. It's the year of the 74th hunger games.

They've all been signed in and our blood taken. They are simply waiting and dreading. Effie Trinket walks in front of the Justice building in her eccentric wig and outfit, excited to send a boy and a girl to their deaths. "Welcome! Welcome. Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour!"

She walks towards the girls bowl, when the screen behind her darkens. Silence. Then panic. What's happening, why did the screen turn off? Is it the Capitol? Then the words appear.

Happy Hunger Games, Panem!

Panem? This isn't happening to just District 12? It can't be the Capitol, Effie is horrified.

That's what they all say. As if it's a privilege to be sent to your deaths, and if you don't die, condemned to a life of horror, of suffering.

Haymitch can't help but pay attention after this line. He knows that everyone thinks he's an ungrateful drunk, but no one seems to remember the horror of his game. He curious to see what else this mysterious screen will say.

Okay, so maybe he is still a bit drunk.

However, this years games will be different.

This grabs everyone's attention in every district, even in the Capitol.

It will change the course of history forever. That's why you are to watch it, and what comes after.

President Snow is furious, how dare this person disgrace the Hunger Games? How will they even show the games, they haven't started yet. They haven't even picked the District 12 tributes yet.

Finick Odair watches as those in his district go silent. He looks at Annie, worried what watching these games will do. But he's also eager to find out how these will be any different from the previous 73 games.

District 13. The long lost district, watches in trepidation as the final words appear on the screen, wondering if they will finally get the Panem they were promised.

I hope you will enjoy this little game. Don't worry though, there are much worse games to play.

Everyone, in all of Panem, in every district, 1-13, were ready to see what the future will hold. Or so they thought.