Day 1: Confessions

Warning you guys now, I am not a poet

"Whenever I am around you, I feel this ... bond. Like ... we are meant to be? No- I mean- ugh!" Shihai groaned, slamming a pillow against his face.

"You were on the right track. If you just boosted your confidence more, that would have been smoother," Juzo explained.

"I just want it to be perfect," Shihai replied, not even bothering to remove the pillow.

The two second years were in Shihai's room. The white-haired boy was practicing a love confession. He was having Juzo help him get it right. Shihai wanted it to sound dramatic, but romantic - the perfect ideal confession to describe his feelings for Fumikage.

"Well, if you remain nervous like that, you'd just be a stuttering mess the whole time. That's not what you want, is it?" Juzo asked.

"Of course not!" Shihai retorted.

"Thought so. It's okay, though. This is a scary thing. But you can do this. Let's just get back to work," Juzo assured.

"Thanks, Honenuki."

"Anytime, Kuroiro."

Little did Shihai know, his crush was facing a similar predicament.

Darkness without light is an abyss
Light without darkness is blinding
One can not exist without the other
They are attached through binding

The moon has a dull glow
But it stands out in the night...
...

Fumikage slammed his head against his desk in frustration. Yes, he was fluent in poetry, so he wasn't sure why he was struggling to write a poem to express his feelings for Shihai. Normally this type of thing would come naturally to him.

"You're struggling because all your poems are about sadness and darkness. You don't have much experience writing something about love," Dark Shadow said, having read Fumikage's thoughts.

"It's just so frustrating. Why can't I come up with something?" Fumikage grumbled.

"I'm sure you'll think of something," Dark Shadow encouraged. "Maybe go for a classic 'roses are red, violets are blue' thing."

Fumikage visibly cringed at the idea. "If I'm gonna win his heart, that is NOT the way to do it. This isn't the third grade."

"Keep thinking. I'm sure you'll come up with something."

Fumikage wracked his brain for a way to finish this poem. An idea. Anything!

Then it struck him. Hurriedly, he began scrawling away with his pen in smooth strokes

The next day

Saying Shihai was nervous was an understatement. He was downright terrified. Taking a test that would severely impact his grade? No big deal. Finding out there's a villain attack? Scary, but manageable. Actually fighting the villains? Doesn't scare him. He knows he can handle that.

But confessing to the man of his dreams?

This was a whole new level of scary.

"You gotta relax, bro. You can do this!" Juzo encouraged.

"If you say so..." Shihai mumbled. "I just- ... what if he says no?"

"Then you'll know how he feels. But trust me. He wouldn't let that ruin your friendship," Juzo assured.

"Yeah. He really is a great guy," Shihai said, opening up his locker.

But the second he did, something fell out of it.

Confused, Shihai leaned down and picked it up. It was a black envelope. Hesitantly, he opened it and pulled out a piece of purple paper bordered with a fancy white pattern. A message was written on it in bright red ink.

Darkness without light is an abyss
Light without darkness is blinding
One can not exist without the other
They are attached through binding

The moon has a dull glow
But it stands out in the night
The sky is incomplete without it
Together, they provide quite a sight

Every night needs its moon
They are two halves in the sky
They belong with each other
Like how I belong with you, Shihai

Please consider letting me be your moon

Shihai's hands were trembling and his heart was racing. Was he seriously reading this right?! There was only one person he knew who would write something like this....

"Oh. My. GOD!" Juzo said enthusiastically. "I'm so happy for you!"

Shihai felt his cheeks turning into a dark shade of red. "Wh-What do I do?!"

"Go get your mans, dude! Hurry, before class starts!"

Shihai didn't need to be told twice. Quickly, but carefully, he folded the poem back up and put in the envelope. Then he put it in his pocket and raced for the 1A classroom.

Once he arrived, he yanked the door open, startling those who were in the room.

"Kuroiro?" Fumikage asked, clearly confused. Then he noticed the familiar black envelope sticking out of the taller teen's pocket. He immediately felt his heart rate pick up.

"Hey, Tokoyami," Shihai said, kind of quietly. He nervously averted his eyes. "I was ... wondering if we could talk real quick? It's ... urgent."

Fumikage immediately knew what they needed to discuss. "Of course."

The two exited the room, heading into an empty hall.

"I just wanted to tell you that ..." Shihai paused and pulled the envelope from his pocket "I, um ... got your note ... a-and I ... really like it. I-I love it, even."

So cute. Fumikage couldn't help but think to himself as he watched Shihai blush and stutter while keeping his eyes fixed on the envelope. He cleared his throat a little. "I'm glad you enjoyed it. However, I understand if the feeling is not mutual. I just ... felt the need to express my emotions."

Shihai felt his blush deepen. "T-Tokoyami, I- ... I feel the same. From the moment I saw you, I knew there was something special about you. I was quick to learn that we share a lot in common. You had always felt like my missing half. Or as you basically put it ... the moon to my night." He worked up the courage to look Fumikage in the eye. "So in response to that last bit, I would love for you to be my moon. And for me to be your night."

Fumikage felt a smile spread across his beak. "Oh, Shihai." He was at a loss for words. He wasn't sure what else to do in the moment. So he launched forward and wrapped his arms tightly around Shihai's torso.

Shihai was shocked by the hug, but he eventually returned it, nuzzling his face into Fumikage's hair. "I-I love you, Fumi."

"I love you, too, Shi."