The Cross

"It's there. The garment will be in the cross, and the cross will be at the foot of the tree." Carla says, ordering the men and Rafe. Me and Rafe are helping Carla Limbrey, and old lady we never met before, get a cross, that might not even exist. For whatever reason she thinks there was a cloth in the cross that can heal her. I stand by Carla's side with my arms crossed. The only reason we are helping her is because we need the money. With no gold, and the Cameron's being in debt Rafe and I are screwed money wise.

"Well, whatever we find, I get my cut." Renfield says, opening his trunk. He was the man who was always with the elder woman.

"The actual garment. You understand the significance." Carla says, watching the men.

"I do, Carla. Completely." Renfield says, carrying a chair over to Carla so she can sit down.

"One touch of it, and I will be healed and this long nightmare will be over." Carla says. I roll my eyes at the woman. I turn my attention back to Rafe, shoveling dirt out of a hole.

"Your lips to God's ears." Renfield says.

"I know you don't believe it, but countless stories over millennia prove that..." Carla says to Renfield and I both, as she sits down into the chair.

"...miracles happen." Carla says, with a big smile on her face. We sit there watching the people digging in the hole then hear a big crunch.

"Hey! Wait!" Carla yells, grabbing her crutches to help herself up.

"Stop! Stop. Please stop. Did you hear it?" She questions, looking over at me. I nod my head.

"Hey, get in there, boys. Do it by hand." She says, pushing herself up. Rafe and I stand hand in hand as we watch three guys jump down into the hole.

"This has got to be the cross." Carla says, looking down into the hole next to us.

"It's smaller than I thought." Carla says, gasping at the box that was laying in the ground.

"It looks like-" Carla begins saying.

"Casket." Me and Rafe say at the same time, both Carla and Renfield look at us and smile.

"He put it in a casket." Carla says, chuckling.

"Denmark put it in a casket. Get it up." Carla orders.

"Let's go." Renfield repeats. Rafe and Renfield both bend over to help lift the casket. I can't help but to slap his open butt.

"Jayde stop." Rafe whispers, both of us try not to laugh. Rafe and Renfield both drop the casket in front of Carla.

"Be careful." Carla orders, "Don't touch anything inside! Don't touch anything inside!" Rafe and Renfield both rip the lid off of the casket.

"Cute." I say, rolling my eyes at the corpse lying in the casket.

"It's just a corpse." Renfield says.

"Sorry Carla." Another man says.

"Do we still get money?" I whisper questioning Rafe.

Carla stands up, "We must have missed something."

"Of course. Of course, yeah. Of course it's just a dead body. Jesus!" Rafe says.

"Just our luck." I say.

"We just got the wrong place." Carla says, walking to her car.

"Well go back to the island room." Carla says.

"We're going back! We're going back! It's not over!" Carla yells. Me and Rafe watch her get into her car and then drive off.

"She's crazy." I say.

"Clearly." Rafe says, holding my hand in his. Me and Rafe walk hand in hand over to the black range rover. Rafe opens the passenger door for me to climb in.

"Do you really believe there is a cross?" I question.

"I guess we will find out." Rafe says, closing the door.

"Hey where's Rose?" Rafe questions Wheezie, he tightens his grip on my hand. Standing behind us is Carla and Renfield.

"She left." Wheezie replies.

"What do you mean she left?" Rafe questions, Walking past Wheezie and leading Carla and Reinfield into the island room.

"She packed a bag and left for the mainland." Wheezie says, following the group into the room.

"Oh and she said something about lawyers." Wheezie says. Rafe pauses in his spot and looks down at me, I shrug. He then turns to look at Wheezie.

"Wait. Out... out of town? Lawyers? What are you talking about?" Rafe questions.

"She said she'd call tomorrow. What do you care? We hate her. Remember?" Wheezie questions, sneaking glances at the older pair looking closely at the wall. I remember, last night I told Wheezie everything about Rose. We both slept in the same room, I needed some girl time and a break from Rafe.

"She left you willingly with us?" I question.

"Yeah. You guys are adults, right?" Wheezie asks, I smirk at Rafe.

"Close enough." I say, shrugging my shoulders. Rafe chuckles and nods his head in agreement.

"That's weird." Rafe says, turning around and walking towards the old people examining the wall.

"Let's go watch a movie." I say to Wheezie.

Me and Wheezie sit in her bedroom watching a Twilight movie. I convinced Wheezie to Watch.

"Jacob." I say, shoving a piece of popcorn in my mouth.

"No definitely Edward." Wheezie says smiling.

"Jasper is a hottie though." I say smiling.

"Ew gross." Wheezie says. I throw a piece of popcorn at her.

"So, what do you want to do about Rose. She pisses me off." I say, smiling. I can't believe I just brung it up in front of a 13 year old.

"Let's just run away." Wheezie says.

"Best idea. Just wait, me and your brother are going to get this cross, and then find the gold." I say.

"Just don't forget about me when you're a millionaire." Wheezie says.

"I definitely won't, once we find this stuff we are going to run away. You can come with us." I say, nudging Wheezies shoulder.