2 - LOATHING FOR THE SUNSHINE

Percy yawned quietly, deciding to momentarily ignore his Ancient Runes homework and stare out of the window to refocus his eyes. His four younger siblings were all on their brooms, supposedly playing tag. He could hear their gleeful shrieks of laughter and taunting shouts from his desk, despite the window not being open. He found himself reaching out to open the window, pushing it forward 90 degrees. Their laughter was now even louder, though it didn't grate on his nerves as he expected it to. It was almost... sad. Despite wanting to ignore the distraction and refocus on his work, he found himself gravitating towards the display outside. It was like any other, they played such games a lot in the summertime. Nothing was different, except for Percy himself.

He would have never played the game with them, would have never gotten on one of the spare brooms, would have never heaved himself into the air. Somehow, he still longed to be asked. Wished to at least be a passing thought in the minds of his younger siblings. It would've shown that they cared, even if they knew what his answer would be. If he was in a good mood when being asked, he may have even chosen to work outside and watch them play, as he used to when he was younger and his head wasn't clouded by the dark smoke it was now.

However, Percy knew that considerations weren't made for people like him, no one cared enough to make the effort. They never did. He was someone one could love, yes, but he wasn't someone one could like. They loved him the way one loved a brother, the way one was supposed to love family. Loving family was an obligation, the way greeting all of the guests at one's dinner party was. It was impersonal and cold. They didn't like him. At least, that was what Percy thought. Percy thought that they would never like someone so different to themselves, someone who contrasted so dramatically to themselves. He would never set his eyes away from the rules which had gravitated him towards success in his life.

His Ancient Runes homework was entirely forgotten as he observed his siblings, almost fascinated by the childish simplicity of it all. It was a simple game, nothing more. But it was beautiful, something he thought he would taint if he even dared touch it, let alone interact with it. He didn't realise just how long he had been watching his younger siblings until they all flew down at the same time and Molly shouted for them all to come down to the table. Percy placed his quill to the side and pulled his window shut. His younger siblings were already talking up a storm, animatedly shouting at one another from across the dinner table, though that was to be expected.

After walking down the two flights of stairs, he took his place at the dinner table and began eating dinner silently.

"I can't believe you caught me last minute like that Ginny, that was underhand that was!" Ron exclaimed, food in his mouth and hand flying in the air as he spoke.

Percy crinkled his nose at Ron's lack of manners, and Ginny seemed to read his mind, as she spoke exactly what he was thinking.

"I don't need to see all the food in your mouth, ugh. And that was not underhand! That was strategy, brother dearest!"

Ron groaned and rolled his eyes before proceeding to eat some more, causing Fred and George to snicker. Percy groaned silently; dinner was always such a loud affair. A daily dinner party, basically. He wanted nothing more than to finish his studies for the night, so he could rest in peace.

"Please be quiet children, I have something to say." Molly stated, standing up from her seat.

The children continued talking as if nothing had happened, they most likely hadn't heard her. Arthur was also talking, engaged in a very deep conversation with the twins. Ron and Ginny continued to discuss their game, throwing jabs at one another as though they were quaffles. She huffed loudly, then tapped her glass with her fork.