Three

I slowly walked up to 221 Revida Avenue as I was thinking about what Olivia said.

"We'll see."

Is whatever's happening in her family that bad?

"Madeline? Madeline!"

"Huh?" Deja vu. "Sorry, Mom." I hadn't even noticed that I was halfway up the stairs and that my mom had been trying to get my attention for a few minutes now.

"You can't keep doing that. You were walking as if you were in a trance. Are you okay?" My mother asked this and I immediately panicked. Evangeline Matthews is of average height with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes that could stare you down to a shriveled lump of bones and skin.

"I-uh, no-wait, yes! Everything's fine!" I may have replied with too much volume.

"If you say so," my mom replied suspiciously. "Your father will be home late," she continued as she made her way to the kitchen. "We're having spaghetti tonight." I followed her and sat down at the kitchen table.

My dad, as handy as he is, made the set chairs and the table for us. It has been in the very same spot in the very same kitchen since my older brother, Jonathan, was ten years old. (And he's in college now, so that's saying something.)

Our house can't really be described. It was just...simple. Homey. Inviting.

At seven-thirty, my father walked through the door. His flannel shirt was covered in sawdust and he had bags under his eyes.

"Hello, everyone." Brian Matthews was roughly five foot ten, with dark brown hair and his eyes were a blue-ish gray. We all sat down to eat after Dad changed his shirt.

"Did you hear about Mr...um," my mom started. She side-eyed me, secretly telling my father, You-know-who? Unfortunately for them, I have a friend who has a father who works with my father, so I'm pretty sure that's who they're talking about. Simple logic! So I sat there pretending I was clueless as to what they were talking about.

"Yes. He didn't show up for work," my father replied. I jerked my head up as if I just realized what they were talking about. Mom kicked dad under the table as he yelped.

"Mr. Forman? Olivia's dad? What happened?" I started asking.

"Madeline!" She turned her head to face my father. "You can't keep a secret, Brian," my mother said in exasperation.

"I didn't tell her!" my dad replied defensively.

"Well, you might as well tell her."

"Fine." My father readjusted in his seat. "First, have you heard the legend of," he looked side to side and whispered, "Shivers?"

"No. Who or what is Shivers?" I asked loudly.

"Quiet!" my mom exclaimed.

I widened my eyes and held my hands up defensively. "Okay, okay," I whispered.

My father took a deep breath before saying, "Okay then. In 2001, Eli Hernandez, aged 20, was a farmer. He worked in Silver Fields." (Silver Fields are the fields by Silver Street. This town's real creative.) "But he was more than that." Mom and Dad exchanged worrisome looks. This made me nervous.

"Day in and day out Eli used his ax and his shovel, to dig up weeds, plant trees, and corn, keep up the crops, and chop down trees. But he was the only one who did all the hard work, while all the rich workers were inside in the factory, making money by just sitting around and telling people what to do.

"This angered him. So much, that he-" Dad looked at Mom again. "Eli started murdering the other workers. Fueled by hatred and frustration, he would follow the rich bosses and CEO's home. When they got out of their cars, he'd make noises in the bushes. While they were eating dinner with their families, he would knock on the front door or nearby windows." I got a strange feeling as if something was crawling up my back and arms.

"Then, while they're sleeping...he'd murder them any way he damn well pleased; knife, gun, rake, ax, or shovel." I started shaking in my seat.

"What does this have to do with Mr. Forman?" I breathed. Another worrisome look between my parents.

"There's more to the story. If you want to hear it, shut your mouth." my father informed me.

I did as I was told.

"No one knew it was Eli. His co-workers were unsuspecting. Except for Jacob Forman."

"Olivia's uncle?" I asked.

"Yes. Now quiet," father replied. "He knew what it was like in the fields. That had been his job many years ago. Except for the burning vengeance. And Jacob had seen and heard Eli whispering threats and thoughts to himself, such as names of CEOs and their addresses. So Jacob formed a plan.

"On Halloween night, Olivia's grandfather followed Eli, who was following William Richardson, the current supervisor. Jacob immediately called the cops and explained the situation. By the time all three were at Richardson's house, the cops were there.

"Jacob told us that Eli tried to get away. The cops chased him all the way back to the sawmill on foot. Jacob was following them in his car. The maze still hadn't been taken down, so Eli ran inside. The cops followed, but couldn't find him.

"When they had lost all hope and started to make their way out, Officer Harrison found Eli dead in the center of the maze. Apparently, he had been stabbed, the only evidence, the bloody knife that had been clean of prints. The only witness, the trees.

"No one knows how he was killed exactly. Most people believe that he committed suicide, as to not go to jail. But others think he was murdered. But it's still unknown to this day. The truth can only be found in hell with ol' Shivers himself, unfortunately." I knew that my father loved telling stories, but this was crazy. His eyes were wild and his voice was intense.

"But that doesn't explain what happened to Mr. Forman," I questioned.

"What I just told you are the facts. The legend should open your eyes to the truth."

"Okay. Just keep telling the story," I told him, sitting on the edge of my seat.

"Well, legend has it that 20 years later, Shivers will rise from the deepest, darkest, hidden spot in hell to the very spot he died, to bring the damned back and 'rule the world.' It is said that Halloween night will be the day he comes back, bringing his undead friends along with him. And if he isn't stopped before sunrise, terrible things will happen."

"People have been studying that spot for what seems like ages now. I'd be damned if they found something after all that digging. They dug five miles into the earth years ago, but there's no 'Gateway to Hell' or some other fictional shit.

Is this what happened to Mr. Forman? Did Eli "Shivers" take him?

"BUT," my mom interrupted. "It's just a myth. No undead creepers will rise, nor any psycho maniacs. Eli Hernandez is dead, and it will forever remain that way."

I don't believe in ghosts. Do I? Neither Mom or dad told me what happened to Mr. Forman. Only Dad implied what may have happened.

Either way, I hoped with every fiber of my being that my mom was right: It's just a myth...