Chapter Seven : Alone

[Komaeda's POV]

Hajime spent his day and wasted his time looking after unworthy filth like me. I'm so terrible... ruining the life of someone as amazing as him...

I need to make it up to him somehow... Ah, what will someone like me do... I mean, it's not like I'm fully capable of it, but... I'll do my best to make him feel special.

The next morning I wake up to Hajime sitting by my side again. He looked tired... not just tired, exhausted. Fatigued. Drained of whatever energy was left in him.

But still he sat there, making sure I was okay, his hand holding mine.

"H-Hinata-kun..." I said, deeply concerned. "Have you... slept at all..?"

No sounds came from him, just a subtle shake of the head.

He needed rest, but... I live alone, so this is the only bed in the house.
"Hinata, you... you lay here, okay?" I say, slowly struggling to trudge out of the room.

"W-Wait... Komaeda, where will you sleep-?" Hajime asks, concerned.

"I'll... be fine, I'll just lay down on the couch." I say, trying my best to reassure him.

"No. Komaeda, you're going to rest in your own bed." he says sternly, his tone shifting quickly.

"A-Alright... but where are you gonna rest..?"

"I... don't need to."

"Yes you do... Here, you can sleep... I don't need to."

"No, really..! You need to rest! You're sick..."

"No... my life isn't important anymore... whether I feel well or not doesn't matter at all." I say, looking at the gray carpet.

"Yes it does!! Everyone matters, you don't need to say that about yourse-"

"N-No, that's... not what I meant."

"Huh..?"

"Hinata-kun... the doctor, he told me that... I only have a week or two to live." I tell him, still focused on the floor.

"You...wha--?" He looked... scared... and shocked...

Back when we were students... I... didn't treat him very well at all...

Yes, that's partly because of his title as a Reserve Course student, but... the main reason was because I didn't want him getting hurt because of my luck cycle... because of this...

And now... he'll be sad again... he'll be in despair again... he'll be alone again.

Ahaha! I really am the most worthless being alive... I can never do anything right...

"H-Hinata, I'm... I'm going to go for a walk."

I take one last glance at him before I head out the door.

His brown hair was messier than it usually was. His tanned hands had begun to slightly shake. His face was shocked; terrified almost. His eyes were droopy and tired, and slowly filling up with tears.

Heh... could it be...? Someone as amazing as Hajime actually cares about a piece of trash like me..?

I slowly trudge down the stairs, careful not to fall, and slip on my jacket as I walk outside.

The air was cool and foggy, and dark grey clouds had begun to form overhead. Soon, an ever-so-slight sprinkle of rain had begun to fall.

I really should've been resting, especially in my current condition. But... I just needed to get out, I just needed to think about things for a while.