ONE

"Maeve hurry up! Or we're going to miss the carriage!" Victor whined.
"It's our carriage dear, it won't leave without us"  Vera said "stop fussing with your tie"
She swatted the boy's hand away from his neck.
"I don't want to be late to the party, Mother"
he complained. While once again trying to adjust his neck tie. "Stop that" Vera demanded.

Maeve Everly came bolting down the imperial staircase of her grand family home.
"I'm coming Mother!" She yelled.
"We'll it's about time, I thought we were going to have to wait all night" the boy said.
"Hush child!" Vera exclaimed.

The family quickly made their way through the front door of their house.
"Now Maeve, I want you on your best behavior. Mr. Smith is a very well known man, and him wanting to marry you is a great honor." Vera said
"Stop Mother, he hasn't even courted me yet" Maeve sighed.
"That very well may be, but you're 19 years old and you must be married off soon" she explained.
"Yes, you don't want to be a spinster, do you sister?" Victor teased.
Maeve whacked her little brother on the butt with her hand fan in retaliation, while he was climbing into the carriage.

Victor glared daggers at Maeve from his seat across from her in their carriage.
"You see this is exactly what I don't want to happen at the party." Vera said.
"All will be well Mother, I promise you that" Maeve declared.  Vera looked at her only daughter skeptically "Hmm, we'll see what the night will bring" she said.
"You should practice what your going to say!" Victor suggested.
"What a wonderful idea, dear" Vera answered.

Just then one of the horses neighed in fright, and the carriage stopped abruptly.
"Hendricks! What in heavens is going on?" Vera yelled. "Sorry miss, a wolf crossed the road and spooked the horses" the footman answered.
Maeve pulled down the window, and popped her head out of it. She saw the wolf retreating into the woods, it's fur was a lovely auburn color.

"I wonder what its doing out and about" Victor pondered. "It's probably looking for naughty little boys to eat" Maeve responded.
At that, Victor slammed the window shut, and scooted over a little more towards his Mother.
"Oh my, what am I going to do with you two" Vera sighed "Behave now, we're nearly there"

The Everly's carriage approached the Smith's grand estate. Maeve's Mother Audibly gasped when she saw how impressive it was.
"Oh yes, he will be a fine husband" she said pleased. "We haven't even met him yet! Don't get too excited" Maeve added.
"He is so very interested in you, because of your beauty and talents. I'm sure you'll be the perfect match!" she exclaimed.
The house and grounds were truly beautiful. There was a long drive way that rounded in the front of the house. The house was 3 stories high and had a few towers. There were arched pathways leading to the garden on the side. When there weren't windows, there was ivy that sprawled across the vast stone.

"It's too bad your Father and older brothers couldn't join us" Vera said "I so would have loved for them to see this."
"Oh look, look! There's a peacock" Victor shouted.
Maeve looked out the window once again and saw that peacocks were being released onto the front lawn.
Their carriage slowed and came to a stop, Hendrick the footman helped the ladies of the family exit the carriage.

The guests piled into a line, waiting to get into the main house. Maeve looked up at the door and saw the man that must be her suitor, Nigel Smith. He was a tall man, probably 6'0, he had light brown hair, and blue eyes. He was very handsome, and had a strong jawline. Maeve thought that it was a face, that she could learn to love.

~

"Oh the Everlys! Welcome to my home." Nigel Smith said excitedly. He reached for Maeve's hand "You must be Maeve, it is a pleasure to meet you" he said before kissing her hand.
"The pleasure is all mine Mr. Smith" Maeve said.
"I have to go talk business with a few of my colleagues, but please save me a dance" he said.
"What type of business?" Maeve asked.
"Oh, it's nothing you'd understand, now please enjoy the party" he said before walking off.