chapter 26

•Alec POV•

I got the call from Sophia, I was still angry at Kayla for everything she did, she was so selfish but I loved her. I know I said things that I shouldn’t have but she wasn’t thinking about what this was doing to us. She only thought about her little world of conspiracies. When Sophia called she sounded frantic and I instantly dropped all resentment towards Kayla and ran over there, I still don’t know what had happened but worry consumed me.

I reached their door and opened it, shouting for Sophia as I did, she appeared at the top of the stairs with tears strewn across her face.

“Alec, Kayla… She…”

She started choking up and fear took over my body, I ran up the stairs and threw open her door, not sure what to expect. I sunk to the floor, I felt tears sliding down my face, I stared at her body, she was lying stretched out across the floor and the wooden floorboards were stained a dark red colour. I could tell that it was blood because a similar colour stained her arms. 

I struggled to stand, my feet and legs were shaking but I managed to stumbled over to her, I sat down next to her and lifted her body so that I could see her face. I could see her face was still damp from crying which means she didn’t die that long ago. I heard Sophia enter the room behind me.

“What happened?”

My voice was weak and shaky, I couldn’t stand it, the last time I had seen her I was shouting at her, telling her to stop being so selfish but then she went and did something like this. It’s as if she wanted to prove a point of saying that she no longer cared what happened to me or Sophia.

“After you left she was pacing about her room shouting at walls, she kept going on about somebody called Cera. I went to check on her but she was completely oblivious to me and continued on a conversation with no one. I left her and called Marcus, he said he thinks it was psychosis which is when someone loses touch with reality, so she thought she was somewhere else with someone else. When I got off the phone and went upstairs…”

Her voice wavered and she choked on tears but I didn’t need to hear anymore, she had finally went over the edge. I wonder if I tipped her over, I hugged her head tightly.

This had all been so sudden, everything, we all knew she was going out of control but we were too late to act on it. We should have taken her to a hospital or made Marcus give her medicine, we waited too long and in the end it killed her.