CHAPTER ONE: When Company Comes, Hide; Don't Run

|~|

Brady Alari Dameron sat outside of the hut his older brother was in, tinkering with BB8 as much as the small droid would allow him to. Apparently, according to his brother Poe, he was too much of a possibility of failure, and not the most convincing resistance fighter to be a part of the full mission, but he was a necessity enough that he had to be brought along to the wastelands of Jakku for it.

Brady hated Jakku. Everything about it. It was just boring to him. Brady needed excitement in his life. As a part of the resistance, there was nearly never a boring day. He always had something to look forward to. A mission, a reading, stories of other missions. Anything. Everything like that interested him.

There were many things he could've been in the resistance. Of course when Brady was allowed to actually do something other than clean the kitchen and living quarters and make food for all of the people there, he chose the one job Poe did not want him to do. The most exciting one. He was simply a spy. The best one they had in fact. No one else in the resistance compared. 

Everyone knew the Dameron brothers. Brady, the best spy they've ever had, and Poe, the best current pilot they have. Brady made it a necessity to remind Poe that it was current pilot. He couldn't top Han Solo. No one could. 

The mission they had at Jakku that night, was one of the most important, if not the utmost important mission ever to be assigned to anyone. If they wanted someone to sneak in and steal it, they needed Brady. But they didn't. They needed someone to go in and talk to a Jakkuian elder about retrieving their mission. Brady wasn't exactly the best person to convince you to give him something of that importance. He'd make one too many inappropriate jokes, or get far too cocky for a good result. This was one mission they couldn't afford to fail. What they would find would change everything. The map to Luke Skywalker.

Personally Brady believed him to be a myth. If General Organa hadn't claimed him to be his twin brother and had some actual proof that he was real, maybe he would totally have believed it to be a myth, a legend. He couldn't help, though, but hope that one day he would be that too. A myth, a legend. Someone people believed too fantastical to be true.

He brushed his longer, dark brown hair out of his face before BB8 zapped him with his zapper thing Poe had added to him a few week before. Everyone but Poe hated it. The droid zapped everyone he got mad at with it. And that was a lot of people. 

Brady kicked the droid, muttering some language he was not supposed to use often, but when BB8 zapped him again, his ears perked up and heard what the robot must have been hearing. His amber eyes looked up and out into the sandy horizon. The dark sand was blowing around more than usual. Small sounds of ships flying through the air cursed his ears. Then, he knew. The First Order was coming.

Without a moment of hesitation, he swiftly picked up his bag, tapped the side of his pants, where his special gun was located, checking to make sure it was there, and sprinted out, towards the hut where his brother and the elder that held the map to Luke were.