Two

The day has come. You have all your things packed and your small apartment is now empty. You've spoken to Pamela once, it was awkward and uncomfortable but you both managed. You'll be living across the hall from her and she told you that you're more than welcome to come over at anytime or to call her if you ever feel unsafe. She seems nice enough, but could she really go up against the joker? You shrug your shoulders at the thought.

You begin your trek to the airport, you wanted to get one last look at the cute little town you've called home since you left Gotham. You smile sadly, it's a melancholy feeling. It smells like fresh-cut grass and the birds are chirping loudly. It's a warm and sunny day, which doesn't quite match the mood you're in.

What typically is a brief walk for you feels like an eternity, not that you could complain. You never wanted to leave and even now you debate whether you truly think this is worth it. You stop where you're standing for a moment. 'Is this really worth it, is it worth it to risk my life to succeed in my career?' You shake your head and let out a sigh. You were risking your life as a sex worker, so how could this really be any different?

You finally reach the bus stop. You greet the bus driver with a smile and a wave. He notices your suitcase and the sad look on your face, "(Y/N), is it true that you're going back to Gotham?" Your kind smile fades and is replaced with a frown. Your vision becomes blurry as your eyes start to well up with tears. You haven't known what it felt like to be cared for in such a long time. This kind old man saw you every day at the same time for the last two years and all you've ever shared was a brief "Hello." You don't know his name, yet he knows yours and he is concerned for you.

"Yes," you wipe your eyes with your sleeve, "I am going back. It took a lot of convincing and a lot of thinking but I think that this will be the best for me in the long run."

He sighs and offers you his handkerchief. You take it and thank him quietly. He begins to speak, "Well, I really do hope that you will be safe. And that you will come back to visit. Please, be wary of that man and what he is after. Nobody wants to see you get hurt again."

The ride was silent and cold.

By the time you arrive at the airport you have composed yourself. You give the bus driver his handkerchief back and he smiles at you softly. You exit the bus and head to your terminal. Everything was smooth and easy and the plane ride was what anyone would expect one to be. It all seemed so normal this time, unlike when you left Gotham. It was pure panic and fear and paranoia that he was there, that he would crash the plane, that he would find you.

Yet, he never did.

He would soon, and you knew it. You felt it. He would know you were back the second you got off that plane and he would come for you. It wouldn't be like before, it would be worse.

When the plane landed, you felt instant anxiety. Your chest began to ache and you began to feel paranoid. You cautiously got off of the plane and headed to the exit. To your surprise, there was a woman there holding a sign with your name on it. She looked vaguely familiar.

"Oh my god. It's you? You're..."

"Pamela. The one that helped you get away from the deranged clown."

"I realized that I never asked for your name, I'm so sorry," You said, your face tinted pink out of embarrassment.

She really was beautiful. She had fiery red hair tied up in a ponytail. Her features were sharp and distinctive. Her eyes were a dazzling green, almost like an ivy color.

"So," you began, "where are we heading?"

She smiled in response and took your hand without a word.

The two of you took a taxi to the apartment complex and on the way she told you that you would have to stay with her for a few things while everything was getting set up.

"What do you mean?" you asked, very confused, "I thought I moved in and did all of that stuff myself?"

She laughed a bit and smiled at you, "Not under these circumstances. We have some people setting up for you to ensure nothing of yours may have been tampered with in the process of moving back here. The joker knows so much and I wouldn't put it past him to rig your boxes or something."

"Damn, right off the bat, huh?" You say in a slightly joking tone.

She doesn't laugh this time. She stares at you with a stern look, "Look, I'm all for jokes (Y/N), but this isn't something to joke about. You are in serious danger returning back here and I need you to be fully aware of that. Your life is at risk and it's my job to prevent you from getting hurt or dying."

After that, there was awkward silence. The two of you didn't speak much for the rest of the night. You lay in the bed in her guest bedroom, thinking about the future and what may come. Tomorrow you'll be heading to the office, and Pamela won't be with you. While she is taking care of you, she is also a working woman. This does not bother you as she explained that the apartment is a safe walk to work. It's always well lit and out in the open, which means its less likely for there to be an attack.

Now, all you can do is hope for the best and try not to get kidnapped or killed.