Chapter Three: But Those Who Resist Fall Quickly

Hehe not me posting another chapter right before I go to school.... Enjoy all, it keeps getting angstier.-😈

Janus groans in pain, wishing Patton would stay, but knowing he couldn't. Roman pulled the same stunt again, slipping something into Janus's drink that made him have a god awful headache the next day. He didn't know why he didn't ever want Janus involved in politics, Janus would certainly be on his side anyway, given the amount of leverage.

"How'd you get this headache?" Virgil asks softly, gently squeezing his hand. Janus blinked in pain.

"Lack of hydration I suppose. Patton, please draw the curtains? It's too bright," He mumbled. Dear god, Roman gave him a migraine this time. Janus sighed in relief when the sunlight practically disappeared. "Thank you."

"It was my pleasure, your majesty," Patton says softly. "I'll be taking my leave now." Janus wants to beg him to stay, but doing so would only hurt Patton and Janus isn't that selfish.

"Very well," Janus said softly, watching him leave longingly.

"I'm sorry about your head," Virgil said softly. "Can I help at all?"

"Give the aspirin a minute to kick in," He muttered. Janus rubs his eyes. "Are you feeling well dear? Roman doesn't always understand that others don't have the same....passion as he does," Janus says delicately, glancing over. Virgil smiles easily, but Janus doesn't quite believe it.

"Oh it was quite pleasant." Janus sighs, massaging his headache.

"If you say so dear." Janus sits back onto the pillows, feeling the headache start to fade, thank god. "Would you like to go outside in the gardens? I saw you enjoyed them on your first day." Virgil turned a bit pink.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to be a bother."

"It's quite alright dear," Janus sighed softly, dressing himself. "I'll take you there soon, provided you get dressed." Virgil smiles.

"Thank you." Janus' quirks a smile.

"Your welcome dear," He says, pulling on his gloves, Virgil quietly shutting the door and changing. Janus puts on the crown and looks in the mirror. "I'm here," he mumbled, trying to ground himself. "I'm still Janus. I'm okay." Janus knew it was all a lie, and the words did nothing to comfort him. How long had it been since Janus had truly been himself? He couldn't remember anymore. Janus stared at his strange looking body in the mirror, staring at it with a look of confusion. His brain feels foggy and distant and his body felt like a six armed creature.

"Janus? Are you okay?" VIrgil asks softly, peaking over his shoulder.Janus turned, powering through the horrible feeling.

"I'm alright Virgil. Why don't I take you outside now dear?" He offered kindly, hand out, still in the dazed blur. Virgil nodded slowly, eyeing him. Janus wanted to laugh. Virgil was trying to break through masks he would never be able to see through. As they slowly walk through the winding garden paths silently, beside each other without talking.

"What was your wedding night like?" Virgil finally asked quietly. Janus's head jerked up, the horrible past flying back to him. He kept his face neutral.

"Romantic," Janus said finally. "Roman's always been very passionate."

"Oh. What was it like before you got married?" Virgil asked softly. Janus wants to scream. Before he was married he was in love, before he was married he was happy, before he was happy, before he wasn't broken into this pathetic shell of himself. He merely smiled.

"Roman always admired me from afar. I hadn't noticed him much, I was much too busy studying politics," Janus explained. "My family was prominent in court, I was very well connected:" Virgil smiles, sighing.

"That sounds wonderful," Virgil said. "Do you spend much time in court anymore?" Janus smiles brighter, hiding the sadness from him.

"No, not much," Janus sighed. "I'm normally unwell during those." Virgil's expression shifts a little, a questioning angry look. Janus raised a surprised eyebrow. Virgil fixed it quickly.

"Can you tell me more about Logan?" He said, changing the subject. Janus sighed.

"Certainly. Logan grew up with Roman, they were inseparable, even in court. Logan knows more about how the kingdoms run than I do, he's Roman's closest confidant. He's incredibly intelligent, I give him that," Janus said tiredly. "He's always got his nose in a book."

"But?"

"He doesn't think very highly of me," Janus sighs, staring at dahlia longingly, stroking its petals. "Logan doesn't know how to let go of the past." He hasn't learned to like Janus has been forced to.

"What happened?" Virgil asked softly.

"Nothing for you to worry yourself about dearest," Janus said, shutting it down.

He wants to believe if he never talks about it, Virgil will never hear about it, even though the court never stops whispering rumors. Janus was painted as a slut by Roman, and his loyal lackey Logan, and honestly, he doesn't care anymore. He's never going to be himself, so who cares what lies Roman spreads about him? Pathetically, he does care. He wants to keep one part of himself, but this a constant sting of agony to remind Janus who was really in charge. Never Janus. Not Janus.

A pair of arms creeps up behind him and plants a kiss on his head. Of course, Roman. Janus looks up, hating the way Roman towers over him.

"What are you talking about darling?" Roman asks sweetly, kissing his cheek. Janus slips into character easily.

"Virgil was wondering about Logan dear. Just wanted to know a few things," he said, smiling softly. "He's bound to be curious about your friendship. It's so strong."

"Indeed it is my darling," Roman cooed, holding him close. Janus sees Logan standing in garden from the corner of his eye, sighing softly. Virgil eyes Janus strangely from far away, and Janus wants to laugh. He's confused, but, its normal. He'll see that soon enough.

"The gardens are beautiful," Virgil says finally, admiring them. Roman nods proudly.

"Yes, aren't they? Logan's brother gardens quite well," Roman said, as though it was his own brother. Janus sighs softly, leaning back onto Roman's chest. "Oh, tired darling?"

"A bit. Hungry as well," Janus said, fully prepared for backhanded mockery.

"Oh Janny, that food wasn't enough for you sweetheart?" Roman says, cooing. And there it is. Janus knows full well that if Roman actually sent him food, then it would have been barely anything sustainable or edible.

"No, it wasn't, I'm afraid," Janus said, kissing his cheek gently.

"We didn't get any food actually," Virgil says. Roman stares at Virgil for a second too long.

"You must have forgotten it my dear. I always send my Janus enough food," he said, tone hardening. Janus interrupts Virgil before he can say anything too dangerous.

"What happened in the meeting today?" Janus asked. "Did you decide on the trade routes to Sireland yet?" Janus said, recalling what he eavesdropped only yesterday. Roman frowns.

"Janus, its rude to eavesdrop."

"I only do it for your benefit Roman," Janus soothed, lying to his face. "I just want to help and I hate being so ill that I cannot." Roman glares at him. Janus knows Roman knows he's lying, but he probably won't be able to make a move with Virgil sitting right next to him in the middle of the garden.

"Well then, darling," Roman continues in an increasingly unpleasant tone, "Since you really want to know. Relations are going very well."

Janus smiles softly, genuinely relieved.

"Oh goo-" He gets cut off by a slap to his face. So apparently Roman doesn't care what Virgil sees. Wonderful.