Headlong into fear

My Hands rested on his chest; as his lay on my hips. Dane pulled me to him and kissed me his lips lightly brushing mine. The girl that had come up to us laughed and handed me a rose before running off with her friends.

"You okay? Dane asked. I smiled at him and nodded the wind whipped around us making me shiver. "Lets get in to my place" I linked his arm, it felt slightly awkward as we got to his apartment and he opened the door. "Beer?" he asked as I closed the door behind us

"Sounds good" I nodded "It's cozy in here" I walked over to the tree that looked half the size it originally was with the loss of needles it had, had.

"I like it" I handed me a beer "I'm sorry that girl; well that we were both pressured into...' I held out the rose to him and watched him frown

"You don't need to apologize" I said as he took the flower from me "Dane" he looked back at me from the flower. I put my hands on his face and kissed him.

Half of my mind was in utter shock that I was doing this without breaking down; the other was hoping that Dane wasn't going to push me away. Dane's body tensed as my arms encircled his neck and my body molded against him. He put his hands on my hips and gently eased me away from him

"Grey... are you; you do know what you are doing?" he asked I nodded

"Dane I have done nothing but try to work out how to walk away from you; but I can't" I sighed stepping back from him; I walked over to the window and opened the shutters so I could see into the street "I've thought that I could just hug you next week; walk away and go home, finally sell my house and start over" I chewed my lip as I put my hands on the railing and watched as fireworks seemed to light up the city "But each time I see you I know it's not going to be as easy as that. I was the wife of a soldier; I know what your job is. I know that I would hear that you were deployed and I know I would worry about you and have sleepless nights thinking about you" I looked back at him "Meeting you has been a double edged sword. I don't know how much I can give if you want anything; but I know you've made me feel more like me than I have in over a year" I took a step back toward him "I don't feel so empty in here' I put my hand over my heart "You know how to make me smile when I don't want to"

"Does that mean I can kiss you again?" Dane asked softly I nodded, Dane tentatively pulled me back to him and cupped my neck in his hands and gently lifted my face to his and kissed me. He pulled back and wrapped me in his arms and hugged me tightly. my arms wrapped around his waist; as I laid my head against his chest and listened to his heart beating steadily in his chest "God you feel good" he breathed as he kissed the top of my head.

We stood together in the middle of his room until the sound of the fireworks stopped both of us not moving. I began to pull back

"No" Dane said shaking his head "I'm scared"

"Scared?"

"Yes, that I'm just dreaming this; and if we move apart then you will..." I looked at him and he sighed "I'm still a Marine"

"I know" I nodded "and I'm terrified of what might happen; but I like you and I like you a lot more than I ever thought possible" Dane smiled at me "I just want to take things slowly and become accustomed to another man being so; well important to me"