Chapter 4

Felix doesn't know why his wandering feet led him across the bridge. Maybe it's his conversation with Aelyth. Maybe it's his own curiosity and stubbornness.

Whatever it is, it leads him into the cathedral.

"Pathetic," Felix mutters, staring at the mound of furs standing in front of the rubble, in the same spot he's occupied almost the whole time since they returned to Garreg Mach.

He doesn't move as Felix approaches, doesn't make a sound. It's hardly surprising, and Felix isn't sure if he even heard. He lets out an angry sigh, dropping down into one of the crooked pews.

"At least you've given up that mask of yours," he continues, staring up through the hole in the roof. It's cloudy- the sky grey and starless. "Used to make me sick, watching you parade around all smiling and princely."

Sometimes he thinks it only did so because he missed when it was true.

(They were seventeen, and two years was hardly any time at all, not when they had grown up together.

"Do you really think you're fooling anyone?" Felix leant against the wall outside the dorms, arms folded across his chest as he watched the Prince step out from the entranceway to the upper dorms.

"Ah, Felix, hello!" He said, face brightening and Felix felt a sneer curl his upper lip. "I haven't seen you since—"

Two years was a long time to avoid someone, but Felix had succeeded in the most part. There had been a lot of impromptu visits to Gautier and Galatea territory, or staying back whenever his father left for Fhirdiad.

"Shut up, you Boar."

Dimitri's smile faltered. "Pardon?"

Two years was obviously not enough time if Dimitri hadn't noticed Felix was avoiding him at all.

"You heard me." Felix said, raising his chin. Around them, other students stopped to stare, whispering amongst themselves.

"That's the Crown Prince of Faerghus - I heard he was leading the Blue Lions this year."

"Who's that talking to him?"

"The Fraldarius heir- he doesn't seem to like him much, though."

"Do you think their families have some form of rivalry?"

Dimitri sighed softly, straightening his shoulders. "If I did something to upset you Felix, I truly apologise."

"If you- if you did something?" Felix started, before letting out a dry laugh. "You've gotten so good at pretending that you've begun to fool yourself.")

Felix rolls his neck, watching for any movement, any reaction.

Nothing.

No point talking to something that was hardly human anymore.

"Pathetic," he says again, and he doesn't know whether it's addressed to himself or the beast.

He leaves the cathedral with a bitter taste in his mouth.

___________

Felix wipes the sweat from his brow as he sits at the edge of the training ground, resting his blade across his knees.

"Is today a sad day or an angry day?"

Felix startles, whipping his head around at the voice, and Flayn gives him a pleasant smile in response, dropping to sit next to him, flicking her cape out so she doesn't sit on it.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he answers belatedly, biting back the venom from his voice.

"Is it not clear?" Flayn tilts her head to the side, face scrunching up a little in confusion.