Chapter 9

After a long and very boring day at the office, he was eager to just sit back with a few beers and watch the game. He was tempted to cook up a few steaks but that would require him to work, so ordering out sounded like the plan for the evening. He had picked up a few six packs on the way home and was eager to just get out of his monkey suit and relax in some sweats. Being in full dress uniform for formal meetings was about the worst thing to do, especially in the middle of this summer weather. After fiddling with the keys and opening the door, he strolled into the house and walked into the kitchen after disarming the security alarms. Once in the kitchen, he took of his jacket, laid it down on one of the chairs at the table and proceeded to break open a beer as soon as he possibly could and took a few quick slugs to get things started. He was getting way too old to put up with these marathon meetings. His joints were sore and he suddenly began to wish he had installed that hot tub he had been thinking about. He was also contemplating retirement again but knew that was wishful thinking. The world would go to hell in a hand bag if General Jack O'Neil even considered stepping down again.

     "Hi there." A voice suddenly called out.

   "Son-of-a-bitch!" Jack called out as he realized there was someone in his house. Without hesitation, he reached for his sidearm and pulled his pistol on the young man who was dressed in a rather old looking garb.

     "Can you please put that away?" the young man asked with a rather annoyed tone.

     "Why should I?" Jack called back with a question of his own.

     "Because you can't kill me." He answered.

     "Why not?" Jack said as he waved the pistol around. "You're in my house? I'm certainly allowed to shoot intruders in my own house. This is America!"

     "I can't be killed because I'm already dead." he replied.

     "Good comeback." Jack said as he lowered the pistol. "Zombie?"

     "Ascended being."

    "Same thing." Jack said as he took another swig of his beer and thought about it for a moment. "Wait a minute, I know you."

    "We met on Destiny." The young man answered. "You were in someone else's body at the time but I like to think we made a connection."

     "Yes… Eli, isn't it?" Jack guessed.

     "Yes, Sir." Eli answered with a smile. "Nice to see you again."

    "Give me a moment." General O'Neil replied as he fished in his pocket for his cell phone. He dialled a few numbers. "Carter, it's Jack. I just got home and Eli Wallace is here waiting for me. Yeah, I'm aware that happened. He just reminded me. No, I don't need backup at the moment. He can disappear anytime he wants so you're not going to trap him and the last thing I want you guys doing is messing up my floors again. Who's the general around here, Carter? That's right. Stand down until further notice. Eli and I are going to have a little chat. We'll be fine. Thank you." Jack put his cell phone away and looked back at Eli. "Beer?"

     "No thanks." Eli replied.

     "Just to let you know, McKay is not a happy camper." Jack said, "I've seen that man when he's at his most annoying and that pales in comparison to how over the top he is about this whole Zed PM thing."

     "It's just a loaner." Eli said with a grin. "I'll give it back."

     "And when exactly will that happen?" Jack asked.

     "Three years." Eli answered.

    "In other words when Destiny successfully reaches the other galaxy, right?" Jack may not have been a scientist but he knew how to add. "Okay, I can live with that."

     "You can?" Eli asked, shocked.

    "Of course I can." O'Neil replied. "You're doing it to save your crewmates and I can understand where you're coming from. I'm not getting any younger, so it would be nice if Destiny made it to the next system sometime this millennium. McKay will have to live with it as long as you promise to return that module as you found it."

    "Yes, Sir. I'll give it back fully gassed and in working order." Eli sarcastically said with a grin, knowing that he had gotten away with a lot.

     "Works for me." Jack said as he tossed a can in the blue box and cracked open a new one. "Man I could really go for some ribs right about now."

     "Sounds cool to me." Eli confessed.

     "You can eat?" Jack asked.

     "I can do anything you can, just not die." Eli answered before holding out his hand to the General. "Can I burrow your credit card?"

     "What for?" Jack asked, somewhat protective of his plastic.

    "Well I can beam anywhere I want." Eli answered. "I just don't have access to ATM with these clothes on."

     "Okay." Jack said as he pulled out his wallet. "Don't splurge. I don't get paid as much as you think I do."

     "Be right back." Eli said just before he vanished into thin air.

     Jack stood there and took a deep sigh before finished off his second can of beer. He was about to open a third before he heard a loud knocking at the door. Hoping it wasn't Carter disobeying a direct order, he casually called out as he walked over. "Who is it?"

     "Jack, it's Daniel!" a voice called from outside.

     "Sorry, geek quota is already filled up in here." Jack called back.

     "Jack, open the door." Daniel called out. "I just want to speak with Eli."

     "All right, but you are not stealing any of my ribs." Jack replied.

     "Excuse me?" Daniel asked.

     "You heard me." Jack called out. "You want in, keep your hands off my food."

     "All right, I don't care." Daniel agreed, frustrated by the conversation.

    Jack opened the door. Daniel was there with Carter and what seemed like two dozen armed marines in full swat gear. He took a deep breath. "I don't care what you think you're going to do, but only Daniel is allowed in here. I have the situation under control so all of you stand down. That's an order."

     "Yes, Sir." Carter said as she stayed behind with the soldiers.

    After Jack closed the door, he and Daniel walked back into the kitchen. Daniel looked around. "Where's Eli?"

     "He took my credit card and went out to get some food." Jack replied.

     "What?" Daniel asked, somewhat confused.

     "He'll be back." Jack said, hoping he wouldn't have to cancel his credit card.

     "So we wait?" Daniel asked.

     "Beer?" Jack offered.

     "No thanks." Daniel answered.

    "Good, more for me." Jack replied. As he said that Eli reappeared in the kitchen without any notice what so ever. It startled Jack a bit but he settled down quickly. He noticed the young man had one large bag in each hand. "Where did you get those?"

     "There is an amazing steak house near where I used to live." Eli answered. "I got him to make up his best ribs for us to eat. Didn't cost too much and some of the best you'll ever eat."

     "We'll see about that." Jack said as he took one of the bags from Eli. He turned to Daniel. "Why couldn't you be this useful when you ascended?"

     Daniel ignored the comment. "I have a few questions I need answered."

     "All right, I'll try my best without bending any rules." Eli replied, "Do you want some of my ribs?"

     "As long as they're not any of mine." Jack called back.

     "Sure." Daniel said as he sat down at the table.

     "So." Eli said as he also sat down. "What would you like to know?"