Chapter 01: What If

What if Brian was a third main character, but simultaneously had the hooded figure personality in the background?

—-

friday morning. a good morning. most mornings weren't good actually, nobody ever got any sleep unless they had all agreed to sleep in shifts, which none agreed on. each morning one would wake up and make coffee for whoever was still sleeping. someone always stayed awake all night or slept the whole day the next day.

brian had accompanied jay and tim on their investigations for a while now. no, he was not feeling better but a cup of coffee and a pillow to the face to wake up was always a good start in the morning.

the pillow had hit him at 10:30 in the morning. tim had thrown it, he always threw it. 
"you slept too long again. did you not sleep yesterday?" he asked with a quiet tone, so brian could adjust to waking up and to the morning light of the hotel room.

brian laid on the couch, thrown pillow in arms and exhaled.
"i tried, warm rag didn't work."
"where'd you get the rag?" jay asked, appearing into the room in his awake yet mistakably tired form.
"mmmn, don't remember, maybe the pool or bathroom, both are water so it don't matter."
tim sighed as he went to the couch and pulled brian from his comfortable position.
"..thought you said we weren't going anywhere today." he mumbled. his tired legs had trampled over tim's shoes which gave out that they were going somewhere.

"never told you that. where'd you hear that?..you need to get changed as well." tim said firmly. brian looked down at his own clothes, the same  grey shirt and jeans the past..couple of days maybe. he could smell that he smelt like shit.

brian shuffled through his bag of clothes and found one extra pair of jeans and shirt, he didn't exactly get the point of 'alex kralie is outside your house, he's gonna kill you, meet at these coordinates.' he'd be damned if he didn't know the points of north east south and west. so he didn't pack much when he fled from his already terrible home.

he'd never told tim about what had happened in his house but he got a weird feeling that jay had been there once in its state and had lived to tell the tale of how much of a lazy ass brian thomas was after whatever happened to his house and who's blood it was in the sink. he knew it was his and that the masked man had been there when the blood escaped his throat.

he unfortunately knew as well, who the masked man was. it gave off some pointers too that jay was gonna find out sooner or later. he could already know but it wasn't worth the fight asking. he strangely hoped that jay got the worse of the two on finding out who the masked man was. brian thought about his first encounter with him and how the first time it was terrible.

he had been in his house, it was clean at the time and it was not dead looking. he had a knock at his slider doors one night which was odd. the outside was gated and nobody could get in through the back unless they jumped the fence. conveniently, someone had. the masked man had, and he was at brian's door.

the blinds were shut when the three knocks repeated. so cautiously he had opened the door, like a dumbass and the masked man had broken his blinds when he had tackled brian to the ground. the only good thing to come out of that night was that brian had managed to flee, and fled to tim's. who he did not know at the time was under the identity of the masked man.

he didn't and really couldn't remember what their fight was about when he had discovered about tim's mental health. what he could remember was that was he was already sick and alex was already a murderer.

realizing he was far too into his thoughts and looked like a dumbass standing there, clothes in hand, he moved past jay and had gone into the bathroom and shut the door.

"what do you think that was about?"
jay turned to tim, who had now taken over where brian previously sat on the couch.

"dunno. I'm getting worried though, it's obvious he hasn't slept in a week."
tim looked to his feet, knowing he did not sleep either, and watched in the dark and brian paced around the hotel room in a paranoid matter. he knew what caused this.

"you think its cause of what alex did?"
jay titled his head, removing eye contact and looking out the window.

"what happened then does depict who alex is now jay. it doesn't matter if he's still your friend, he did what he did."
tim said in a harsh tone, before looking over to jay and apologizing.
"its alright, you're right though. he hasn't gotten sleep from when i've been waking up."
tim also knew that jay woke up at an unhealthy hour to get fresh air or he woke up from night terrors. 
"you should be getting sleep too, if I put both of you together I'd say you'd both be dead if your sleep schedules were a person."
tim laughed at that as brian came back into the   room with only a different shirt on.

"really? you didn't change your jeans?"
brian shrugged as he grabbed a barely warm coffee and leaned on the wall near the door.
"haven't gotten blood or dirt on them yet so thats a point for staying clean."
tim rubbed his eyes, he knew what he was talking about.
jay looked to tim in a confused stance.
"points? whats points?"
tim stood up and walked to brian, took his coffee and took a sip before he started explaining.
"a point system is where its a bet."
brian chimed in. "its a bet on who can stay the cleanest during times of danger. i have five points. tim has two. and if you get dirty you lose a point."

jay shook his head at this.
"so its only like what? the worst ways to get dirty? you lose points if your bleeding or you fall into a mud pile?"
they both nodded.

"thats childish."

"you're childish." brian mocked.

tim swatted brian on the head as he grabbed the car keys from the coffee table.

"well we still have to go somewhere, or has someone forgot that?" he gave brian a look, who returned the look with a goofy glare.