Chapter 02: Just a cold

Prompt: I was feeling cold earlier, choke coughed on water and got the nerve to write this
-

"That wraps it for now." Alex said, clasping his hands together, everybody was tired and ready to go home—30 minutes ago. now they were relieved that they could actually leave.

Tim picked up the script and the script Sarah had given him that was originally supposed to be Brian's script but he wasn't here. Nobody questioned it—

"Where was Brian today?" Alex turned to stop Tim from leaving.

—except Alex. Tim knew that Brian had been sick the past couple of weeks but he wouldn't tell nobody what it was. Tim always got the dark feeling that he knew what it was, and he hoped to whatever god was out there that it wasn't what the feeling implied that it was.

"Like I said before, I'll make sure he reads his lines and I'll tell you once he's done enough."
Tim shrugged past Alex, who stopped him, annoyingly, again.

"I asked where he was, not why he isn't here."
Alex said firmly, giving the shorter male a slight glare. Tim exhaled and said that he had an appointment to get to, which was a lie. Alex let him go and hollered that Brian had to show up on Wednesday or there'd be trouble.

Tim shook his head as he approached the parking lot. He knew from a distance that his head was beginning to hurt, he quickened his pace as he opened the door, shut it and turned the engine on. He threw the scripts in the back in an exhausted matter, rubbing his eyes before pulling out of the parking lot and leaving back to his apartment.

-

It had been a fair couple of minutes, despite almost being home he parked and opened the console drawer to a filled pill bottle. He had taken some before he exited his car in the morning but he guessed he'd need it if he had to deal with another long night. popping a few into his mouth and swallowing them dry, he turned the key back in and drove a while until he approached his apartment.

Tim left the console open, guessing he'd need it the next day since the areas where he kept the other bottles were running low. He approached  the inside garage door and opened it. He'd forgotten to lock that door.

He scanned the apartment, but it was quiet, which was weird since his guest was supposed to be sleeping on the couch. the couch was empty. checking if the heater was still on, it was, which meant his guest should've stayed in the couch if he had been that cold like he said he was.

Tim headed for the bathroom, guessing that would be a likely place instead of his room, which was cold sometimes because of the open space. Opening the door, it halted and crashed against another door, the shower door. Carefully sliding through the half open door then closing it behind him he saw his guest, his friend, sitting in the shower, asleep.

He crouched to the sleeping friend and bat him on the face a couple of times before the other stirred awake in a annoyed matter.

"Brian. you fell asleep in the shower."

"mmno..didnn."
His drowsy slurring of words were always amusing to Tim.

Tim had enough of the patience and lifted his friend out of the shower and onto his shoulder, carefully carrying him out of the bathroom, back down to the hall and back where he should've been comfortably sleeping.

He took quick notice that the blanket had been tossed half onto the floor and half onto the coffee table. which was probably the original cause of his change of location. most likely got cold after the blanket was thrown off and drowsily walked to the bathroom.

From all the movement, the sickly tired friend was almost awake, rubbing his eyes and yawning, which was abruptly stopped by a hack.

"You okay?" Tim stared down at his friend, who held his wrist to his mouth and had hacked up a cough again. was he going into a fit? Tim quickly shoved the thought away. It was just a cold, that was what Brian had told him so that is what he told himself.

Brian nodded, grabbing hold of the blanket and laying it flat on his legs. Carefully, Tim made his way and sat next to his friend.

"Yeah, jus' a bad cold."

"You sneeze from colds Brian."

"Maybe I get special colds." He teased. They both thought they knew that he had a cold, but something in the air was definitely but could mistakenly be written as off.

"Is it a cold?" Tim finally gained the courage to ask, in his serious tone of all voices. He held his friend's hands which gave the tone that he was serious about the question.

Brian had avoided eye contact for merely a second before shaking his head.

"Guessed so. What is it then?"

"Dunno, really. Started a couple of weeks ago but it's getting scary now."

Scary? Tim looked down to his friend's hands which were a different shade than his forearms, which indicated that his hands, and from what Tim could feel, were cold. Instead of speaking thoughts he just openly asked what it meant.
"A scary cough? what's that supposed to mean?"
Brian shook his head and gave a light laugh. Tim could tell that Brian's hands were getting warm from the two of them being in close range.

"Dunno. Scary meant that its bad, I think. Are nosebleeds bad?" He looked Tim, eyes full of concern for his health. Tim said that nosebleeds happen when you pick at your nose for too long.
"You callin' me a nose-picker?" Brian furrowed his eyebrows before breaking the act with a happier laugh than the last. A more aggressive hack followed the laugh, and they both saw it as Brian hacked into his wrist. blood from the mouth. Brian looked at him with a worried face and Tim could tell he was scared until he gave a slight smile.

"It's probably a scary cold."