The Land of Stories What If....? Chapter 2

(By the way, this totally messes up the Cemetery of the Undead thing. Just go with it)

Bob and Conner finished the script later that evening. The characters had done a read through, and not long after, Conner and Charlotte left to recruit the characters in Conner's last story, The Adventures of Blimp Boy. Now, two days later, a lot had happened. The show was almost ready to perform, although some characters, mainly Robin Hood, were having problems memorizing their lines. Goldilocks finally had her baby, a son that she and Jack named Hero. Having a baby in the commissary definitely made things interesting, especially when he cried in the middle of rehearsals. The characters were in the middle of a rehearsal.

"I AM OZ, THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE!" Robin Hood shouted from behind the makeshift Wizard head. "WHO ARE YOU?" Bob nodded to himself. It was the first time Robin Hood hadn't improvised mid line. Red looked down at her script, checking to see if it was her line.

"I...I...Elphaba Thropp, Your Terribleness!" Goldilocks shouted back. She was getting used to the idea of acting and was surprisingly good. "And this is-" There was a long pause. Everyone was waiting on Robin Hood.

"Robin, it's your line!" Bob sighed. 

"OH. APOLOGIES." Robin Hood said. "IS THAT YOU, ELPHABA?" But before the scene could continue, Conner's binder of short stories flipped open. Conner and Charlotte stepped out of the beam of light.

"You're back!" Alex said, running up to hug her mom and brother. "How did it go?" Conner grinned.

"Let's just say, there are a thousand mummified soldiers and one mummified dog in a blimp waiting to come in." he said. 

"That's great!" Alex smiled. "We have the whole army! We can go back to the Fairy Tale World and defeat the Literary Army!" But Bob and Charlotte were shaking their heads.

"We can't go before the show. If we don't put on the show, our co workers will wonder where we went and why the characters were really here. We may get in trouble with the hospital when we come back to work." Bob said. The twins were disappointed, but Bob made a valid point. 

"Well then, I guess we're putting on a show." Conner said. "So, will someone explain what Wicked is about?" 

"It'll be easier for you to watch. They're in the middle of a run through. I'll catch you up on what happens before this point." Bob said. He explained all about the first part of the show. Conner felt like his head was going to fall off. 

"That's a lot more information then I was expecting." Conner sighed. Alex laughed. Once Conner understood, the characters resumed their run through. Conner was impressed by their acting abilities, except for Robin, who kept saying the wrong lines at the wrong time and forgetting his cues. 

"That was pretty good." Conner said. "After we defeat the Literary Army, that might be worth a trip to New York to see the real deal. It did kind of crush my childhood, though." Bob nodded with wide eyes. 

"I can't watch the movie and look at it the same anymore." he said. He turned back to the actors. "You're doing great. I think we're done today. Remember, we perform tomorrow, so make sure you're ready." All of the characters dispersed and began mingling. Alex approached Red, Jack, and Goldilocks.

"That sewing machine boy made me the most lovely dress." Red was saying. "I don't normally wear baby blue but I think it suits me for the show."

"Hi, there." Alex said, ducking into the conversation. Red turned and smiled. 

"Oh, hello Alex!" she said. "I was just telling Jack and Goldie about my costume."

"Are you guys ready for tomorrow?" Alex asked. Red nodded.

"Oh, yes. I love being admired by an adoring crowd. I have trouble with some of my lines though." she said.

"You did great in the run through!" Alex said. "What about you Goldie? Jack?" Jack scrunched up his face.

"I'm not really into performing. It's more Goldie's thing. She'd never say it out loud, but I think she's actually enjoying it." he said.

"You're really good." Alex said. Goldilocks crossed her arms. She wasn't used to compliments.

"Well, I suppose it's easier since the story is kind of like my life." She said. Alex gasped.

"You're so right!" she said. "Why did I never notice that?" 

"But Goldie, you're not green." Red said. There was a moment of silence as everyone internally groaned at Red.

"Well," Alex changed the subject, "We don't have the resources to get green makeup, so I'm going to do some spells. Goldie, you're going to have to come with me." Goldilocks nodded and followed Alex away. Jack quickly followed them, leaving Red alone.

"What did I say wrong?" Red asked herself.