Alyssa Valentine

If I say I was stressed, it would be an understatement.

Tucked up in a ball on the couch, the TV plays the current news in front of me. My mum sat on one side of me, and my cat sleeping on the other.

I put my fingertips in my mouth, chewing my nails nervously as I await the updates on dagger. I listen to my mum inhaling and exhaling deeply from beside me, trying to calm herself down just as much as I am.

We don't live in a very big town. Actually, it's almost tiny. Everybody knows everybody — everybody's basically friends with everybody. So when we heard there was a merciless serial killer roaming the streets, we always knew that when he striked, he was never far.

It has made everyone fearful for their lives. My mum hardly even lets me out anymore. She doesn't care that I am a fully grown ass adult; if I live under her roof, I live by her rules. So at the age of 23, I'm still having to literally sneak out to see my friends. It's bullshit.

My mum has always said I was stubborn. I like to abide by my own rules, and I am 'very hard to control'. But to be fair, I think that can be a good thing.

My dad however, used to always say I was a people pleaser. Did whatever anyone told me to do, just to make them happy. Never cared for anything but the approval of others.

So the obvious way that their thoughts constantly contradicted each other, they were bound to fall apart. They couldn't even agree on their own daughter for crying out loud.

But to be fair, I can humbly admit that I'm a bit of both. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I tuck my black hair behind my ear, before pushing the frames of my glasses higher up on my nose as I continuing waiting for the updates.

The nerves inside me completely erupt as finally, that horrid name flashes on the screen.

And just as it does, my mum instinctively grabs my hand in her own, holding it tightly for any type of comfort in this stressful situation.

"The named serial killer, Dagger, has dreadfully struck again."

My mums hand squeezes mine even harder, hearing the news from the lady that we always expect, yet constantly dread.

"A twenty year old boy by the name of Jay Michael, has been found dead with ten stab wounds in his torso. When will Dagger stop with his merciless killing spree? When will he finally show he's had enough? And most importantly, when will he ever be caught?"

I pinch my eyes shut, throwing my head back with a sharp inhale.

"He was such a lovely young man." My mums saddened voice comments from next to me, referring to the murdered boy who only lived a couple streets away.

"I know." I quietly mumble, my eyes finally opening as I get off the couch, letting go of my mums hand.

I make my way over to the kitchen, going to the fridge and pulling out a cold bottle of water.

"I hope you realise this means you cannot and will not be going to that gathering tonight." Mum calls out from the living room.