Chapter 26: Let's Make a Deal

•Chapter warnings: little bit of smut with a dash of a panic attack. Enjoy!•

One side of my body fills with fear, bone-chilling, blood-curdling, fear. The other half fills with longing, a need, a sense of pining. As his eyes find mine in the mirrors, I feel frozen in place. I shift my weight from one foot to the other, suddenly loosing all sense of confidence I had coming to 'train'. I clear my throat but keep my eyes on his through the mirror. "If you're here to check on me, I'm still me." I wrap my hands around my arms, breaking my eyes away from his to look around at the equipment spaced around the large room.

I hear him chuckle followed by a few hollow footsteps. "I recall you saying you're not trained in combat," he says and I turn on my heel to face him. He smiles before continuing his sentence. "Figured it'd be a fair fight now." He gestures to his neck and I feel my cheeks flush.

I take a few steps back across the mat, shaking my head. "I don't know if that's a good idea, Bucky," I mumble and look down to my hands. "I don't trust myself yet, to be around you it might trigger something..." I trail off, not knowing what the hell I'm talking about.

"You wanna tell me what happened?" He raises a brow at me and I look around the room again, weighing the pros and cons of each situation. I brush my hair away from my face and fold my arms across my chest. "Or how about this," he says and my eyes shoot back to him. "Let's make a deal, yeah? Fair fight, I pin you, you tell me what happened. You pin me, I'll give you your birthday present."

My brows furrow at his words. "Birthday present?" I scoff, "Bucky, I never told you when my birthday was."

"Doesn't mean I didn't know when it was," he mumbles as he steps closer to me, confidence oozing from his tone. I feel my breathing hitch in my throat as he steps closer. "Do we have a deal?" He raises a brow at me quizzically.

"Depends, what kind of 'fair fight' are you referring to?" I smirk at him through my words, knowing he could take me down in a second with me not having my powers to my advantage. "Cause where I'm standing, you're still a super soldier and I don't have anything." I shrug and wait for him to negotiate his way out of this.

"You wanna know how to fight in combat, right?" He tilts his head at me, still a safe distance away but close enough that my heart has found its way into my throat.

I nod.

"Then we have a deal," he remarks in a cocky tone. I bite the inside of my cheek, feeling the blood rush to my face under his stare.

My eyes wander him for a moment, wishing I could hear what he's thinking in this moment. "Fine," I say with a grin. "But, no super soldier tricks or you'll pay for it." I step back onto the mat, the soft light from the ceiling illuminating both of us and casting shadows down onto the blue tarp.

"Your move first, then," he grumbles as he crouches down a bit, lowering to my height. I fake a smile and ponder whether I can pull off a move I've only seen on gritty security camera footage too long ago. "While we're still young, please," he retorts jokingly.

I smirk at him before pulling down on his right arm, lowering him even more. Quickly, I throw my leg around his shoulder and the other follows. Making him stand upright followed by his hands flying to my back, prohibiting me from leaning backward to knock him down.

I purse my lips, trying to think of an alternative. He grunts as he tries to pry my legs away with his inhumane strength. When I see his strength beginning to beat mine I push out a breath and swing myself to the side, knocking him off of his balance and making him fall to the ground. I land back on the mat with one hand supporting me letting out a breathy chuckle, relieved I actually was able to pull a move off that a once superior trained assassin performed.