Fireworks On A Lonely Night

The grass beneath me swayed to and fro from the wind, the tree I was leaning against talked to me with its leaves as if trying to make conversation with me, my entire backyard was silent except for the quiet, soft green rustling around me. I’ve always been lonely, I didn’t have many friends and I wasn’t that well liked, the only person that would ever want to hang out with me was-

“BOO! Pft did I scare ya?”

*sigh* This guy. “No, Ray you did not.” Ray has been my best friend ever since I was six years old, unlike me he has a lot of friends and everyone wants to hang out with him. The reason he likes being with me out of them all is still unknown.

“Well better luck next time I guess, what cha writing there Ember? You look superrr deep in thought.”

“That’s because I’m finishing up my English report.” Ray is 1 year older than me, he graduated college last year and I have one year more to go.

I worked once again in silence, only this time Ray was next to me and I’d be lying if I didn’t like his company, I can see why people like him so much. He's very considerate and kind, he lights up every room he steps into and he’s very good looking too. He has been my only friend for as long as I can remember, furthermore it has been a few years since I found myself looking at him not just as a friend but as an admirer.

Ray interrupted my thoughts suddenly, making me flinch a little. “Hey Ember, how are you in college? Have you made any new friends yet?”

I stared at him suspiciously “What’s with that question, are you trying to make fun of me? You know how I am, besides I’m fine by myself and I have you don’t I? That’s more than enough for me”

“Well yeah but- I won't be here forever y'know? One day we will have to go our separate ways. What will you do without me then?” He looked at me, his eyes were filled with worry and I almost sensed a bit of sadness. As if there was something he wanted to tell me but couldn’t.

“Hey…” I put my hand on top of his, attempting to comfort him from whatever he was holding in. “We have been together ever since we met and we will continue to be together! I’ll make sure of it, you won't be going anywhere without me by your side.”

We spent the rest of the day together talking about everything and anything. We planned to go to this year’s city festival that’s happening in a few months. Every year our city hosts a festival and everyone starts preparing for it 3 months in advance, that’s how important the yearly celebration is.

~~~
“Ray!” I called out, waving my hands to get his attention. He waved back and came to me, slowly so as to not get hit by cars on the way. I noticed he looked a little pale and sleep deprived. I wonder if his job search is tiring him out too much.

“Hey are you ok?” I asked once he reached me, “you look totally tired out.”

“Oh do I? Maybe it’s the stress, I haven’t been able to sleep these last few days”

“Hey… take it easy ok? We don’t want you to get sick before the big festival we’re supposed to have tons of fun! And we can’t do that if you pass out in the middle of the firework show.”

He gave a light chuckle “Yea, I’ll take better care of myself I promise.”

“Good now come on, I need some coffee.” I said, dragging him to a nearby cafe. His hand felt quite cold and though he tried to smile it was weak. Looking at him concerned I asked “Would you rather go home instead? You don’t seem so good.”

He looked at me embarrassed “Is that ok? I’m really sorry… we can still watch movies! You get to pick.”

I flicked his forehead in reply “Of course! But no touching my chips, I might just bite your finger off.”