the only one

While walking inside the unsettling building, Kyoko shivered.

Because of the cold, and because of the monster who was walking in front of her.

Sometimes Kyoko wondered why everyone liked her despite being non-social at all. She prefers to stay alone in a corner; prefers to fake-smile her way through classes;.. so why?

When no one is around she vents. Punches. Kicks. Why? Well, simply because she isn't satisfied with how the people treat her. What, she's not satisfied with them treating her like a princess?

She was violent, and someone you wouldn't want to mess with. Yet... yet everyone crowds her, talks to her, praises her... but why?

Is it because they don't know her true nature? Is it because-

Kyoko sees the ceiling for the first time.

She turns towards her partner, feeling the metal ceiling might be crucial in their 'investigation'.

"Yui, please, you've got to be more observant-"

Kyoko's words caught in her throat as soon as the older girl gave her a solid glare.

Her dull green eyes shimmered in this dirty hall, almost beautiful, but maybe it's only because she's as dirty and corrupt as the building itself.

"Shut up. If you're going to talk me off, might as well go our seperate ways." Her voice has an edge to it; as if it was a silent threat.

Kyoko cowers, knowing she could do nothing but listen to her senior.

She doesn't answer, doesn't speak nor makes body language; but Samidare leaves her anyway.

If she dies all alone, then... she knew Samidare wouldn't care. Samidare wouldn't even bat an eye.

Sometimes, in the worse of her senior's violence, she wished her partner was someone else.

Someone who actually cared.

But it wouldn't matter now. At least... not until after the sick Duel Noir games.

-----

As time went on, Samidare's attitude only got worse. Other than being arrogant already... she started to threaten Kyoko more openly, even when her grandfather was there.

Her grandfather didn't seem to care though; as if having to go through Samidare's sudden anger vents was a normal thing for their family.

Fuhito was a strict man, but this was too much. Kyoko would do nothing and just listen at the verbal attacks to her heart.

The lavender-eyed thirteen-year-old would only wait until her senior got tired and would stop ranting about things to her, and about her.

In other cases, Samidare even had told her the urge to beat someone until they're just a pile of unrecognizable meat.

After though she would snarl again and walk away.

By now, Kyoko got used to her way of things. She threatened Kyoko, yes, but she never actually laid a hand on her.

At least... for now.

Kyoko was afraid.

Because any day now; Samidare would wake up and have the urge to hurt Kyoko.

It was possible.

But her fear of the day that happens decreased when Samidare gave her a rose as a gift, and told her about her life.

Still, she said it all with a jab at Kyoko after every sentence.

She'll never change.

Kyoko could only listen again.

She wouldn't dare talk back to someone who can easily shut her up.

-----

The day came when Samidare has had enough.

That day she just grabbed Kyoko's wrists all of a sudden and opened a lighter.

"O-oneesama... what-" Kyoko cut off her own words with a shriek of pain.

Samidare had brought the lighter to her fingers, and started to burn away the flesh and nails.

Samidare's face had a smirk. A smirk while Kyoko struggled against the older girl's impossible vice grip.

She begged her to stop. She cried for her to make it stop.

Samidare didn't budge, though. She just stared at Kyoko's teary eyes with those empty orbs.

The lighter only grew hotter as Kyoko's wrists started to hurt and her throat felt raw and overused. Her hands felt numb but the pain was still there.

It just wouldn't end. It just wouldn't end. It just wouldn't-

That was when Kyoko realized it was her fault.

Right then her wrists were let go, only to leave angry red marks at where the grip used to be.

Samidare left, chuckling to herself all the while, pocketing her lighter.

Kyoko sat on the floor, sobbing.

It was all her fault.

She had the chance, but... she didn't make a move to change that unmovable heart until it was too dark to even see anymore.

She sobbed harder, her cries resonating throughout the empty halls.

Until she was hurt by her failure.

-----

"Kirigiri-san, why do you have those gloves on all the time?"

A brunette boy with stunning emerald eyes full of bright hope had asked her.

A complete contrast to... Kyoko shook her head.

The boy tilted his head ever so slightly, noticing the change in demeanor.

Kyoko looked away from his eyes.

"These gloves are the remembrance of someone... I failed to change."