Summer holidays

(A/N) So there's a bit of a time skip now to the summer holidays between second and third year. New OC this chapter: Thea Jones

 New OC this chapter: Thea Jones

June 1993

The morning before the holidays was spent with last minute packing and bustling about the dorm. Both Padma and Emery had technically already packed their trunks the night before, however Mandy insisted on digging through each of their trunks when she couldn't find her favorite top. Half the content of their trunks was already on the floor when Isy spotted the top dangling from a bed post.

Finally all trunks were packed and clothes were (more or less) returned to their owners and the group of girls were dragging their stuff downstairs.

Hermione hopped into the carriage, sitting next to her best friend.

"It's always weird leaving, isn't it?"

"It's for sure like a second home by now"

>><<

When they got off the train at Kings Cross, Emery found herself back with the trio who had been sitting in a different compartment. She said a rather awkward goodbye to Ron and Harry before giving Mione a tight hug.

"We'll both be away most of the summer but I'll see you in the last week and don't forget to write!" the bushy haired witch smiled.

The trio left towards the barrier and Emery said her last goodbyes to her dormmates before passing through the wall of platform 9 3/4.

On the other side of the barrier she immediately spotted her mum waiting for her with open arms. She was engulfed in a warm embrace, breathing in the familiar scent of fresh peppermint and honey.

"Oh, I missed you so so much sweetheart! Don't you look pretty as ever!" Thea gushed.

>><<

When they arrived at home a wide smile spread across Emery's face. The wildflowers in the front yard were blooming and the large stepping stones that led to the front door sparkled in the sunlight. Inside, she quickly tugged her stuff upstairs to her room before joining her mum downstairs in the kitchen.

Thea Jones looked like an older copy of her daughter, with the same wavy hair, blue eyes and soft features, though she was significantly taller. She was a lawyer and model who worked in London, but the peace and quiet of the Jones cottage away from the city was something both she and Emery deeply appreciated.

The two of them prepared dinner together, taking it out in to the backyard to eat before going for a swim in the pool.

The first night back home again was always strange. No giggling and hushed whispers, or the sound of someone shuffling around under the covers, instead just the sound of the wind rustling through the trees outside. Emy propped herself up on her elbows and gazed out of the open window at the stars. Silvery moonlight shone on her pillow and the smell of honey and flowers lingered in the air as she drifted slowly off into dreamland.