00. Before, Prologue

𝐎𝐎 — BEFORE

𝐎𝐎 — BEFORE

𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐑𝐀 𝐕𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐕 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐍𝐎𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐆𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐑. There was no knight in shining armor, no hero that was going to come and prevent her from falling into the dark abyss that was slowly consuming her. Perhaps heroes did exist in this cruel world, but there was no such thing in this city that was Ketterdam.

The night was quiet, which was a rather rare case for the chaotic city. Or perhaps it was the ringing in her ears, or the rapid pounding of her heart that prevented her from hearing anything more.

Night had fallen, and Elara could sense a storm coming. She needed to get up soon, not loving the idea of getting completely drenched at a time like this.

The isolated alley way that she was currently laid was no different than the rest of Ketterdam: dirty, dark, and with someone on the verge of death just around every corner.

In this scenario, she was the one on the verge of death, but she digresses.

Seeing someone die in the streets of Ketterdam was never a unfamiliar sight, the residents had learned to simply skim over them as if it were nothing but the morning newspaper, and paid it no importance.

But now as Elara laid, clutching at the handle of the silver dagger that dug into her upper-thigh, she wishes things were different. She wished people in Ketterdam cared, cared enough to at least ask if she were okay. But these people were twisted, and wrong, and greedy, and probably wouldn't ask if she were okay unless there was some kind of reward for it. People like her.

People like her, who wouldn't bat an eye if someone were bleeding out on the ground from getting into a petty fight with someone. She didn't blame anyone for not coming to her aid, she would've done the same.

Her mind fuzzy and vision spotted, heavy breaths and cries spilled from her lips, urging her to get up and run to Cecilia to heal her. She wouldn't be able to manage that even if she tried, but she liked to think this way instead of what was actually holding her back from swallowing her pride, and letting Cecilia help her; acting as though she was a small child in need of her mother's saving.