chapter 1

Wind whips around her on the open pathway and his hand is tight in hers so they won't get separated in the crowds. Traveling through the mass of people and tents at the Quidditch World Cup had been nerve-wracking as they tried to keep up with his father. Then again, Mr. Malfoy had nearly left them behind in the first place.

A shoulder slams into Kate as someone runs past them on the platform causing her to wince and stumble back into Draco's chest. His hand slips from hers for only a moment to catch her and ask if she's alright. Kate just nods, breathing deeply and taking his hand again. He still looks at her with those concerned blue eyes that made her blood rush in second year.

Draco Malfoy has always been there for Kathrine Weasley, and that is why she trusts him more than anyone else in her life. He is her comfort from the disappointed eyes of her parents and she is his confidant who knows the reason for every little flinch. Draco will always be her best friend, she was willing to push aside her growing feelings for him when they began to bloom, and maybe that's the reason they are so close now.

Draco hadn't been surprised when he got Kat's letter asking if she could come visit. He wasn't shocked that she didn't want to stay at home. He knows that her house doesn't quite feel like home these days, and he has to admit, his house feels more like home with her there too. But he wants to know what's wrong, he wants to know what happened that made her leave home for the summer after just one day. Draco knows her well enough to know that she will talk about it when she's ready, but that for now, she just wants to be distracted.

"Are you excited?" he asks, watching her turn to meet his eyes.

Her lips twist upwards as she laughs, unable to keep a straight face as she teases him, "are you an idiot?"

"Hey!" Draco moves to flick her shoulder and she dances out of his reach with another laugh. Both are still smiling when they notice Lucius talking to someone on a platform above them, but their grins quickly slip away when they see who.

"Well put it this way. If it rains, you'll be the first to know," Lucius directs to the Weasly family plus Hermione Granger, Harry Potter, and Juliet Black.

Draco steps up to the railing, looking up at the group, "we're in the minister's box, by personal invitation of Cornelius Fudge himself."

Kate grips her wrist for comfort under the eyes of her siblings and their friends.

"Don't boast, Draco," Lucius drawls, poking Draco in the chest with his cane forcefully, making Draco take several steps back and gasp shakily. Kate immediately makes for Draco's hand as he holds it out to her while his other hand goes to where the cane dug into his chest.

"There's no need to with these people. Do enjoy yourselves won't you?" Lucius mocks as he turns to leave.

His eyes trail over his son and the girl comforting him, and he scoffs, nearly running into his son as he storms past the pair. Kate looks back up to her family, most of them tossing glances and glares toward at her. Biting her lip, Kate squeezes Draco's hand and lets him lead the way to the box.

"Are you alright, Drake?"

"I'm fine, barely touched me," he brushes it off.

Looking him in the eyes Kate pokes him in about the same spot and he hisses out a curse, "Kate!"

"You're a liar!"

"I'll be fine, there's no need to worry about it."

"No, no, no! I'm healing that when we get back to the tent," she points at his chest, "I swear I'm going to hex him one of these days!"