Chapter Twenty-Seven

Steve and Bre had spent every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday together since they met. It was hard to be apart Monday through Thursday, but because of their schedules not coinciding, it didn't really work for them to see each other. Even if they lived together, they would only see each other before bedtime. And, Steve told himself, he would never do that before marriage again. They did text multiple times every day, and he called her on his way home from work before she went to bed.

They had talked so much about every facet of each other's histories, interests, and dreams for the future, that Steve felt he knew her better after a month than he had known Paige after three years.

Steve called Bre on his way home from work on Thursday, as normal.

"Hello, my darling", she greeted him. He could literally feel her warmth and positivity spreading to him through the phone. God, he adored this woman.

"Hey, hun", he said. "How was your day?"

"It was pretty good. How about you?"

"Well, other than wishing I could see you more, it was fine", he replied. "I'm trying to remain positive about that but it's hard. I miss you".

"I miss you too, but it could be worse. There are plenty of long distance relationships out there. At least we have every weekend, and I'm sure you can request a different shift once you've been there for a while. You do your job well and they will notice".

Steve chuckled. "How do you know I do my job well?"

"Because I know you, I know your character, and I've seen the work you've done on your house. You give everything your best".

"You make me sound really good", Steve said, slightly embarrassed.

"You're an amazing person and anyone who doesn't see that is an idiot", Bre answered cheerfully.

Steve laughed heartily at that.

"Speaking of your house", Bre started, "I was actually wondering if you wanted to decorate the baby's room with a certain theme, like for a boy or girl...or do you want to stick with a gender neutral?"

"Cripes, Bre, I have no idea about that stuff", Steve said. "What do you think?"

"Do you know if Paige is going to find out the gender?"

"She said yes", he replied. "Do ya know when that happens? I can't remember".

"Twenty weeks", Bre said. "So we wouldn't need to wait much longer.  We can either wait to find out or go with gender neutral".

"That's five months?  Then we would have four months to get everything?", Steve thought out loud.

"Yep".

"Will you- I mean, are you okay helping me do all this?", Steve asked. "I don't wantcha to feel obligated".

"Steve, I LOVE decorating and shopping for baby stuff. Please! You are making me so happy by letting me help!", she laughed out loud.

"Bre, you're the best. I love you so much", Steve said. "I don't deserve you".

"Yes, you do", she replied confidently. "We deserve each other and we deserve happiness together.  Trust me. Trust God".

Steve felt tears spring to his eyes and there was a giant lump in his throat.

"We will have enough time to decorate and get everything we need if we wait until that appointment", Bre assured him.