Chapter 1

Seventeen Years Later

"You call that a hit? Harder! Strike her down with force! Don't hold back!" Nyx screamed to Macaria.

Nyx is the goddess of the night and took in Zagreus, Macaria, and Melinoë. She and their mom had a friendly relationship during Persephone's time as Queen of the Underworld before Zagreus' birth.
Nyx told the three siblings the stories of their mother and father, not hiding the fact that she did not like their father.

She spoke on how Persephone was seen as respectable and how Persephone was grateful for Nyx's company and support during her initial time in the Underworld. Weeks upon Persephone's death and the downfall of the underworld, Persephone being grateful for Nyx's part in her time in the underworld asked that if anything should happen to her, she wanted her to play the role of the kids Foster mother in her absence.

Though it took her some time to find the three siblings in the land of the living, she and her two twin boys Thanatos and Hypnos wasted no time in shaping them up and training and teaching them how to use their powers and abilities, every day once they were found.

Nyx cares for the three as if they were hers. She fully supports their decision of wanting nothing to do with their father and the other gods, seeing as no one even attempted to find the three and help them. Even when Nyx had to leave most days to go to Mount Olympus, Zagreus and his sisters never once tried to make contact with the Olympians.

"Show your opponent no mercy! Don't show any remorse!" Nyx yelled, watching the two sisters fight. Zagreus and the twins stood on the sideline, watching the training battle, mentally cheering them on.

"You have to give me your full strength," Melinoë says to her, closing in on her. "You may be older but you are weak and pathetic" she insulted, trying to get in her sister's head.

"Pathetic, huh?" Macaria said, seeing as her sister is taking her kindness for weakness. "Let's see if you can handle this then" with one swift move, Macaria had risen the dead to let them do her dirty work on fighting her younger sister.

Macaria personality is a kind and caring goddess. She likes people whether they are mortal or immortal, though comes off as shy at first. She can be naive at times but she is very loyal to those that she calls friends and family. Doesn't tolerate if anyone abused her kind heart...and would drop the gentle attitude if she got the slightest idea that they were abusing the kindness, making them regret it..faster than they could say sorry. She is fond of her family and being that of an annoying sister out of her other siblings being the oddly cheery one that just bugs them.

"Hey, that's cheating!" Melinoë protested, fighting off the dead men and women, who were attacking her every which way.

"What do you think Nyx?" Macaria called out to the older woman. "Is this allowed?"

"I will allow it. You are being strategic and clever in letting your opponent tire themselves out with fighting this diversion. Plus strengthen your necromancy ability"

"Seriously? Ok, fine if that's the way you wanna play it?" Melinoë said with a smirk appearing on her face.

She looked at how many dead people her sister had risen, before contemplating her next battle move.

"Wait where she go?" Macaria wondered not seeing her anymore, now on high alert.

Manipulating the mist, Melinoë vanished from everyone's eyesight transporting herself behind her sister instantly.

"I win!" She declared, holding Macaria in an arm lock with a sword to her throat.

"Are you freaking kidding me!?" She exclaimed with a sigh, getting rid of the dead as Macaria released her from the hold. "Congratulations, you little serpent," She said impressed by her little sibling.

"Good work everyone. Melinoë, keep up the great work and you might be ready to wield your father's blade" Nyx said, showing her a smile, before walking away, as her sons followed.

"You're getting stronger each day" Macaria complimented hugging her. "You may have bested me, but you still have to take on old Zagreus over there"

Now, that Melinoë was old enough she had been training nonstop with her siblings. She took on the appearance of a young, short and petite woman in her early 20's. She stands only 5'2 tall, over a foot shorter than her father and she has long blonde hair with dyed red highlights. Her colouring takes after her father with dark eyes and her mother's hair colour, finally now able to change her appearance like her older siblings.

"Old? You mean Zagreus the great. After all, I have bested every single person here including Nyx herself"

Zagreus personality is a person who is calm and has a dry sense of humour. He is also very forgiving. He also (possibly) doesn't hold grudges. He loves and cared for their Cerberus dogs greatly. He can be a cheery and outgoing young man at times, though his gloomy outlook on life takes from him. He is also mature and well counselled, and some would believe that he has had many other lives before this one.

"Just you wait and see how strong and amazing I'll be. One day I might even be what even the gods fear" She announced, her tone being somewhat serious. "I will be better than the both of you two combined"

Unlike her two older siblings, Melinoë personality is an angsty, semi-rebellious god with much in common with her father. she does have love and respect when it comes to the mention of her mother, despite not knowing her. Although she did not grow up with her father, she shares aspects of his sense of humour. Specifically his sarcasm and sardonic humour.

She puts up a cold front to hide her insecurities that came from not feeling worthy enough for their father to have stayed and loved not only her but her siblings as well. Once she warmed up to the two twin boys, the positive aspects of her personality slowly start to come out of her being playful, fun-loving, musical, caring, and loyal.

"I have bested not only once but twice with the twins and my win today, making me have three wins over Macaria. You're my last test and I only have to beat you once, brother. Once, I do I'll be able to wield our father's blade"

"Even though you don't like the man" Zagreus retorted, ruffling up her hair, messing it up, before walking away.

"We all don't!" She exclaimed trying to fix her hair to some extent, catching up to him.

"Plus, could you blame us? He killed mom and then tried to kill us" Macaria chimed in, no longer sporting her battle attire.

"Melinoë, may not remember, because she was an infant, but I distinctly remember how father treated you like his precious little princess, while he left me alone most days, not caring, allowing me to dig holes in the Elysium Fields and hunting animals"

"Wow you are a weirdo"

"Children! Come here!" Nyx shouted from the doorway of their home before turning back in.

Sensing that this was a serious matter, Zagreus and Melinoë clutched onto their weapons, in case they needed to fight, while Macaria had risen two former warriors from the dead.

"Ease up," Thanatos said to Macaria, seeing her armed protectors, looking down at her with a smile, holding his hand out for her to grab on to. "And you two as well," he told the two.

"It's not a war to be fought. However, our mother has some upsetting news for you three" Hypnos said taking the weapons away, while Thanatos instructed Macaria to get rid of the dead.

"What is it?" Zagreus questioned the woman.

"..there's no easy way to say this"

"Out with it, Nyx" Melinoë demanded, still being mindful to not disrespect her.

"Yeah, you're never one to be around the bush" Macaria then comments.

"It's about your father. It seems... Well, it seems that your father has left the underworld, and without a ruler over the dead, the balance of life and death is being toyed with"