Partners in Crime

Partners in Crime
Chapter 3

Paradise working non-stop at her thievery skills was an understatement. It had been six months since she had ran away from her life as a princess, and she had Wanted posters all over town. Pride swelled within her after seeing each one, knowing that she was skillful and dangerous enough to have a poster, and still hadn't been caught.

Dangerous. It was exhilarating and refreshing to have a title other than pretty or royal.

Paradise ran a tender finger over the handle of one of her daggers, small flowers engraved into the wood. She had come to adore her weapons that had protected her when no one else did. The cold blade and warm handle sent a wave of safety down Paradise's body like nothing else ever had.

A letter lay next to it, loopy cursive writing telling her about her next job. Well, where to meet to hear about her next job. The various crime rings Paradise had worked for over the months were all vastly different, but they all had one thing in common; they never left any important details in writing. It was all said at an underground meeting.

It was tonight at midnight, and she was instructed to bring weapons of choice. She looked over to the clock. 11:00. Paradise slipped a few small syringes into concealed pockets of her emerald dress, as well as two of her favourite daggers on her thighs. It was all she needed to be secure.

Her cabin was very nice. Of course, she had stolen it like mostly everything in her home, but over time she spruced it up a bit. It was cozy and littered with all of the treasures she had collected over the years. As she left for her meeting, she grabbed the key from the loose board outside her cabin, and secured the door shut.

     Paradise tucked her hood over her head and set out to the Temple District. They were meeting in an old cathedral that had been long abandoned, and inhabited by the Silver Rings.

      The journey there was quiet, no one really strolled the streets of Valenda on a cold night like this. Perhaps if it was closer to Elantine's Day, the streets would be bustling with partygoers.

     From time to time Paradise wondered how her mother was doing. She wondered if she still treasured her precious empire more than anything else in the world. She wondered if she ever thought about Paradise, and how she was doing.

     After what felt like forever, she reached the cathedral and sat on one of the benches across from Bobbit. There was someone she wasn't familiar with sitting beside the crime boss, though, with wild black hair and pale skin.

     "Paradise the Lost, my darling! Welcome, welcome. I have a challenging quest for you that I think you'll like," Bobbit grinned at her, all yellow teeth and chapped lips. Sometimes he unnerved her, but Paradise always liked to face her fears.

     "What's the job?" She asked boredly, picking at her cuticles. "And who's the new kid?"

     The man looked offended at the word kid, and she gave him a little smirk, rubbing it in. Though it was rich coming from Paradise, who was only seventeen herself.

     "This is Flynn, your partner for this assignment."

     "I'm sorry, did I hear you right? Partner? I don't do partners. I'm skilled enough on my own."