Chapter 2

Natalia shifted slightly in her sleep and groaned. She opened her eyes, and the first thing she saw was a layer of red, engulfing her vision. Nate noticed the altered colour of her irises, and jumped up covering them from the three teenagers and the adult in the room. Yet Nate wasn't fast enough, as Lupin noticed her ruby red eyes...

"Nate, what are you doing?" Natalia asked tiredly, startled by his fast movement.

"Just uh making sure you are ok, I was really worried." He responded quickly, trying to not look suspicious. Lupin looked down at the siblings in shock, wondering if what he just saw was true or if his eyes betrayed him, but given Nate's reaction it's safe to say there is something strange about these siblings.

Time jump to the great hall

A carriage wheel shatters the glassy surface of the puddles on the ground, as horseless carriages carry students towards the glimmering castle. Gradually, the sweet sounds of a choir rises on the air, a flash of lighting bleaches the night sky and the kids sit at the gryffindoor table in the great hall listening to the children sing composed by professor flitwick. The children finish their song as Dumbledore rises beginning his speech.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair..." Dumbledore rambles only to be interrupted by McGonagall clearing her throat to get him back on track.

"Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor" Dumbledore introduces and scattered claps follow, carried heavily by the golden trio and the twins.

"Of course! That's why he knew to give you two the chocolate, Harry, Natalia." Hermione interrupted his speech. The others agree before Dumbledore continues.

"As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, out Care if Magical Creatures teacher of many years, had decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!"

The five stare at eachother stunned, then applaud vigorously. Hagrid turns ruby red, rises, and nearly topples the staff table, sending water goblets weaving. Dumbledore turns drave as his speech continues:

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban."

A murmur of apprehension fills the hall. At the Slytherin table, Draco Malfoy, flanked by the ever present Crabbe and Goyle, catches Harry and Natalia's eyes, feigning a dead faint. Natalia rolls her eyes and turns back around grabbing Harry to turn him with her.

"The Dementors will be stationed at the entrance to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving."
Dumbledore finishes gloomily.

Time skip to the next day

As the bridge and castle glimmer in the distance, Hagrid emerges from the Forbidden Forest, dragging a fistful of dead ferrets by the tail. A bird appears, circles his head playfully, chirping merrily before it flutters off, pin-wheeling past flowers, into a birdbath, finally coming to rest upon an ancient tree, singing it's lovely song, when a branch punts the bird into the air. As feathers fly, the whomping willow resumes it's shape.