˗ˋ 15

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY
TAKE A DETOUR

. . .

"Why are we getting off here?" Rory asked, looking around incredibly confused as Sirius pushed one of the buttons on the nearest pole to their group of seats. The Knight bus screeched to a halt, the conductor looking around and seeing James pull Lorelai to her feet with Sirius and Remus following behind, ushering them off of the bus.

They had entered London just a brief couple of minutes ago, and with thanks to the bus's incredibly high speed, they were set to reach the Leaky Cauldron within mere moments. But for some unconceivable reason, Sirius had decided to cut their journey short, paying each of their fares and emerging out of the mass of purple metal right by one end of Westminster Bridge.

"Why have we got off here?" Lorelai turned around slowly, taking in the architecture of the Muggle parliment across the river. "We have to go to Charring Cross to get to the Leaky Cauldron, which is still.. or would have been only a minute!"

"Yeah, but this is way more fun." James said. "Don't you think? We get to take in Muggle London, walk along the streets like normal people and just have fun. That conductor was way too strict. He'd glare at you if you did so much as laugh."

"You would have only had to put up with him for another minute!" Rory replied, shaking her head in disbelief. "I don't even know how to get to Charring Cross from here.. I've been to Muggle London once."

"Luckily for you, you have a local." Sirius through his arm across Rory's shoulders as they began to walk through the crowds of people who were crossing the bridge.

"Sirius, you know you don't live near here, right? Grimmauld Place is in Islington." Remus chimed in, looking somewhat concerned. "You do know that, right? It's important to me that you know that."

"Eh." Sirius waved his hand, as if it could get rid of all his troubles. "Don't worry mate. It's not like I haven't been here before, because I have. Or at least I think so.. Mother doesn't like us mingling with Muggles."

"Well at least you get one thing out of this." Rory forced her legs forward, her eyes drifting across the wall seperating the bridge from the water. "I guess it could be fun. But I need to find at least one street sign first to point us in the right direction."

"Seconded." Remus nodded. And with the two of them calmed down enough, Sirius could stop forcing them to keep walking and instead followed behind them alongside James, watching as they visibly relaxed upon finding a signpost that pointed them in the right direction.

"I feel bad that we're going to be late for Pete." Rory commented, as James directed them down an side street. Just moments before, they had purchased coffees and pastries from a cafe on the way, and it was the sugar-dusted croissant that had brought the thought of the final member of their group back into their minds. 

"Well.. me and Sirius have been lying to you." James admitted. Not only did Rory come to a stop, but Remus too. "It isn't bad - I swear - but I thought that seeing as we only have one day here and my mum was going to get us all the basic things on our equipment lists, we should stop off somewhere else."

Rory narrowed her eyes. "James Fleamont Potter, where the hell is 'somewhere else' and why didn't you tell me about this before?" She questioned.

Sirius giggled. "Fleamont." He repeated, only getting a shove in the shoulder as a response from James.

"Mate, that's my dad!" He rolled his eyes. "But you two, calm down, really, it's nothing that special. Me and Sirius just thought you'd might enjoy visiting, considering all our research into-"

"Peter!" Rory very almost dropped her coffee, only just looking both ways as she cross the road. Peter was stood beneath the curved arch of a tunnel through into a small courtyard, a smile on his face as Lorelai hugged him. "Here - have a croissant."

"I think I'm good." Peter wrinkled his nose, watching as a frown covered Rory's face. "Sorry - really - it's just that we went to France this year and I definitely ate one too many... there was a bakery at the end of the road, a two minute walk from the villa in this incredible town near Marseille... hi."

He finished sheepishly, realising that an babbled explanation was less than necessary and hugging his friend again, before getting several slaps on the back as a greeting from the boys. 

"What are we doing here?" Rory remembered the mystery very suddenly, looking back to James, who rubbed the back of his neck. It was never fun to be on the end of the beginning of Rory's fury. 

"Through there - er - it's a wizard library. Thought there might be books on Animagus shit in there." James shrugged, watching as Rory's eyes widened, pushing her coffee and croissant into his hands and placing a light kiss on his cheek before rushing off towards the building he pointed out.

Sirius watched as the Potter's cheeks turned pink. "And here we were thinking you liked Lily Evans." He commented.

For the second time, he was shoved in the shoulder.