The Enchantress

The rays of the shining crescent moon bathed the room in a silvery light. The light shone on the crystal-like rose, illuminating its broad array of colors against the gray stone walls. To most, it would have been a beautiful sight to see, but to him, it was just a cruel reminder of his tragic fate. If by his 21st birthday, when the last iridescent petal from the rose fell, the prince had not found a woman to love him, he would be cursed to live the rest of his days as a full blooded frost giant. As it was, Loki was only half frost giant; he still had the mind and figure of a man, while possessing the impressive night vision and icy powers of the cold beasts. But if the curse became permanent, he would lose the last of his good looks, and grow to the full size and horrid appearance of a frost giant, with a pointed nose, bald head, and long gangly limbs.

Staring out unto the frozen Norwegian landscape, the troubled prince allowed his mind to wander back to that dreadful night where he and all of his servants had been placed under the curse. It was only five years before on the night of his 16th birthday. Loki had decided to hold a grand party, and all of the nobles and aristocrats across Norway had been invited; they drank and danced, reveling in their wealth, bragging about all the the lands they owned and the castles and mansions they had built. The mood quickly changed when a poor old gypsy woman knocked on the door, begging to be allowed in. There was a harsh blizzard, and she pleaded with the young royal for a warm place to stay for the night. In exchange, the gypsy promised to give him a magical rose that sparkled like the northern lights. The arrogant teenager only laughed.

"A rose? A rose that sparkles like the northern lights?" Loki chuckled, holding a glass of champagne in one hand, "I doubt that such a thing even exists, and even if it did, what would I want with it? I'm a prince! A rose made out of gold would be more fitting, don't you think? Bring something like that and we'd have a deal!" The guests all burst out in laughter as the prince signaled for his guards to remove the woman, but before anyone could touch her, a bright gold light glowed from her, raising her up into the air. Suddenly, the gray haired stranger transformed into a gorgeous woman with flowing blonde hair, glowing skin, and a dazzling gold dress. The nobles stood terrified for a moment as the magical stranger landed gracefully in front of the prince. Then, all at once, panic broke out. Loki stood in awe, petrified at the spot, as chaos erupted all around him. Screaming aristocrats scattered clumsily toward any exit they could find, their plates and glasses shattering to the marbled ground as lords and ladies fell all over themselves to escape. 

The mysterious enchantress stood fully composed and unperturbed. "Prince Loki," she declared, her powerful voice booming throughout the castle "to match your cold heart, I will turn you into a beast more fitting of your nature. Like the savage frost giants of the north, you will be cursed to live life lonely and isolated! You cannot touch another human being, nor they touch you, without them enduring the pain of frost bite. And as for your servants, they will become the very treasures that you hold so dear!"  No sooner than the enchantress said it then Loki began to change. The maids, the butlers, the cooks, and valets , all transformed into random household items, clocks, silverware, furniture, even candelabras. The beauty of the man's porcelain complexion was replaced with a deep cerulean hue, rough, with thin veins bulging across his arms and face. His irises that once shined like flawless emeralds, now gleamed an angry red. 

The once beautiful man glared down at his hands and shrieked. The sound of his scream pierced the air, shattering the glasses of the banquet table and the mirrors in the hall. Anxiously, Loki glanced around the banquet hall, that only a few minutes ago was so full of people and warmth, was now empty and cold. "You witch!" the 16 year old yelled in fury, angrily throwing a glass  before sinking unto the floor, "Look at me! I'm ruined! I'll be alone like this forever!"

"Not forever, dear prince, I do leave you with a glimmer of hope," the magical woman exclaimed, her tone soft, "If by your 21st birthday you have changed your ways, a young woman has grown to love you, and you have grown to love her, then the spell will be broken."

"That's impossible! How can I get a woman to fall in love with me when I can't even touch her?!"

The golden enchantress thought for a moment. He was at a great disadvantage, not only from his appearance, but his new powers would make him a great danger to any girl who got too close.

"Very well," she said at last, stretching her hand out to him. "On the night of the full moon of each month, when the moon's light touches you, you will turn back to your human form, but only from moon rise until moon set. During that time, you will become human again, no matter where you are." A circle of silver light burst from her hand, engulfing Loki for a moment before disappearing. "I suppose this is one kindness I can give you, despite how little you give to others." With that, the golden enchantress disappeared out of the castle doors in a mass of swirling sparkles, leaving the royal and his now enchanted household alone in the cold darkness of the castle.