1

"Oh come on Bridget!" I sighed taking another sip of my tea.

"I don't want to." I said looking at my best friend, Dory Lin.

"It will be so fun though!!" She said, putting her hands into a pleading motion.

"I'm starting at a new school and it's a school night. It's a terrible idea."

"Why do you have to be like that? You have perfect grades and a perfect record. There's nothing wrong with having a bit of fun."

I thought about it for a moment. It would be nice to go to a party. Especially after Marcus Wood. But it's a school night and my new school is one of the best in London. I couldn't believe I was actually considering this.

"I don't know..." I said. I saw the flash of triumph in Dory's eyes, she knew that she was winning me over.

"He won't be there." I looked up. "Maybe you could meet someone new." I took another sip of my tea and said,

"Fine." Dory beamed at me, grabbing her bag.

"I have to run but I'll pick you up at around 8. Wear something nice." I nodded and she waved to me as she walked out of my door.

What had I just agreed to?

———

I was standing in front of my mirror, staring at myself. I looked nice, I knew that I looked nice. But why was I still picking apart every little thing about me?

My hazel hair was hanging down just past my shoulders. I was wearing a nice black dress with my white air force trainers. I had no other shoes apart from my school shoes so these would have to do.

My makeup was simple. I put on some eyeliner and mascara. I didn't feel pretty or beautiful but I felt nice.

Nice would have to be good enough.

Suddenly feeling self conscious, as always, I grabbed my black hoodie and flung it on, walking to the kitchen of the flat.

I took a post-it note and scribbled a note saying where I was for my dad. He wouldn't be back until late as he was still working.

As I stuck it to the fridge, I heard intercom buzz.

I walked over and pressed my finger on the button.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Dory!" Dory called through.

"Okay, coming!" I said and left the house.

Dory was waiting for me outside. She was leaning on her dads car with a pair of sunglasses on.

"It's night." I said, climbing into the car.

"What? Oh. I don't want to be recognised." Oh. She didn't want to be seen in this part of town.

"No offence." She added. I gave her a small smile pretending like just because she said 'no offence' meant I wasn't offended.

She drove away, towards the party.

———

We arrived at a colossal mansion. The entire house was probably the same size as the block of flats I lived in.

"It's huge." I said in awe.

Dory wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh grow up." I said with a smile as I climbed out of the car and walked up to the house.

Dory rang the doorbell and a boy opened the door.

He had brown skin and a messy mop of black hair. His eyes were a deep brown, almost like chocolate.