Chapter 5

Chapter 5 – Caden

I absentmindedly laugh at something Jason says, barely noticing my surroundings or the female rubbing against my body. Jessica is a desperate female who believes she will become my mate on my twenty-fifth birthday since I've kept her for so long. It's annoying how she gets into fights with the other women I fuck.

But I keep her around for one reason and one reason only, to separate myself from the world. It may sound cruel, but I use her for sex and that is it. Not that she doesn't use me to gain what she desires. Her status around the castle has definitely improved by being my mistress.

I only wish it wasn't her who I spend my nights with.

For eight excruciating years, I've waited for a sign of a young woman with light brown hair. I know it's stupid to imagine a brunette walking into the room with her hair up with little ringlets dangling on the sides of her face as a bright blue dress sways side to side from her hips, but I do every year.

And every year I'm crushed.

Mentally sighing, I force the fake smile to stay on my face. It's one of the things I loathe about being a prince. I have to act nice in public.

King Luca, my father, will be announcing the run in a few minutes, and I'm dreading it with every fiber of my being. I wish he would end this stupid tradition as all it does it cause me heartache and pain.

I don't want to pick a random female to run with me when I know my mate is out there somewhere. She has to be. There is no way she can live without me once her heat kicks in.

At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Everyone already knows who I will be picking. I think keeping Jessica around has dulled the mass of females wanting to get in my pants. It's a curse and benefit all wrapped up in a nice package for me.

I just wish the one female I crave the most would show herself. To this date we haven't gained a single clue to who she is. I can barely remember the softness of her skin against my fingers. The small gasp escaping her lips haunts my nightmares at night. Was it out of shock or disgust?

We all know the reason she ran, but why stay away all these years? Why not come forward and get to know the real me? Doesn't she desire the touch of her soulmate? I know I do...every single second of the day my mind is racing around with thoughts of her. What is she doing? What does she look like now that eight years have passed? Is she a servant girl? Does she live in the castle or in town? Is she a daughter of one the visitors who turned out to be traitors to the crown? Is that why she won't come forward, because of her father's actions?

There are so many reasons that slither their way through my mind constantly that I never have a peaceful night's rest. I don't want one. Not if what I said all those years ago is the actual reason for her leaving me.

Every night after I leave Jessica or another mistress in one of my spare rooms, Marcus, my wolf, replays my shameful moments of sheer terror.

Pushing the boy off me, I shove to my feet, eyes searching frantically around the room for a brunette-haired beauty in a stunning blue dress. Fear overtakes every instant when I don't immediately see her. "Guards!" I scream hysterically as my heart begins to beat rapidly in terror. Was she kidnapped? "Guards!" Spinning in circles, I try to see a blue dress, but it's impossible as people begin to crowd around me.

By the time two reach me, it seems as if minutes have passed by. "Close all the exits. No female leaves this castle. Someone has kidnapped my mate!" Pounding my chest, I try to get my stupid heart to stop beating erratically. I can't think straight and I feel lightheaded. "She has light brown hair and is wearing a stunning blue dress."