XV. SUPPLICATION

-

-

DAYS LATER, ANNALISE AWOKE to Nostradamus shuffling about, pulling small vials from his shelves and setting them on his worktable. He had told the Princess she needn't stay in the infirmary a second night, but she insisted upon it. She seemed afraid to be alone, and with reason.

"And you are sure she's alright?" Mary's voice was quiet, she was under the impression that her sister was still asleep. Annalise had awoken a few minutes prior, though she did not have the energy to speak and chose to remain with her eyes closed on the chaise in the infirmary.

Nostradamus' feet shuffled against the stone floor as he turned to the Queen of Scots. "Physically, yes. Thankfully, her Highness was asleep for an entire day and the potions are taking their effect. Mentally, that is something only the Princess can determine."

The weight on the chaise shifted as Mary sat next to where her sister lay, stroking her hair gently. The night of the incident, the elder had wiped Annalise's face and changed her gowns, too wary to leave her with another servant who may not be who they seem. She must have missed a spot, the blood behind her ear was now oxidized and brown.

Mary grabbed a rag and soaked it in a bucket of water, droplets splashing as she wrung it out and brought it to Annalise's pale skin. "I worry for her, Nostradamus. That this might all be too much for her." The cold fabric left her skin, also leaving the Princess yearning for a bath. "This was never supposed to be her life."

"She is strong, and she is learning. If I may, you are an excellent teacher, Your Grace."

The Queen thanked him for the compliment. continuing to stroke her sister's hair as she dared to ask. "There isn't a chance you've had any visions, visions of Annalise?" Her voice was tentative. She felt as though she was treading dangerous grounds.

Nostradamus came around Anna's other side, setting a cup down at her bedside. "The stress is certainly not good for her, but no, I have had no visions." His firm, broad hand came over the Princess' shoulder, gently shaking her. "Princess, you must drink."

She finally allowed her eyes to open and shifted, her muscles groaning as she adjusted her position.

They both helped the Princess sit up as she took the delicate cup from the healer. "You know," Her voice was still hoarse. "The last time someone offered me tea, they tried to kill me," A small, forced chuckle passed her lips.

Annalise had worked up the strength to return to her room, where her servants had prepared a hot bath for her. As her toes dipped into the water she let out a sigh of relief, carefully lowering herself into the tub. Her muscled ached and throbbed, her skin burned slightly at the heat. She dipped her head, blowing bubbles from her nose as she scrubbed at her scalp. When she rose to the surface she rubbed her eyes, pushing her matted hair out of her face. Her arms wrapped around her legs, bruises of yellow and purple tainting her ivory skin. It had been marred, broken, battered. As her fingertips met the surface of her browbone, skimming over a small gash, she couldn't help but shed a few tears. This was not the life she'd wanted, living in fear.