3 - Didn't You Get the Memo?

┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

"My poor baby..."

"Glenn. It's a car, man."

Glenn gasped, turning to Nick with his mouth wide open. "Hey, maybe that's all she is to you!" He leant back over the car's open trunk, hands resting on the metal - caressing it.

Nick chuckled lightly. "Ya'll need a moment alone? I can leave if ya' want." Glenn punched his arm - mindful to avoid his ribs - face burning. Before Nick could continue his teasing, he noticed Rick walking into the clearing, Shane stomping in hot on his heels.

"Ugh." Glenn glanced at him curiously before looking ahead of him, giving a sigh of his own at the two men. "Here we go..."

"Could you just tell me why?" Shane pleaded with his friend, coming to a stop. "Why would you risk your life for a douche bag like Merle Dixon?" The officer sounded desperate, his voice throaty and whiny.

"Hey, choose your words more carefully." Daryl huffed, pointing a handful of his bolts in the direction of Shane. Nick let his eyes linger on Daryl for a moment, the man had a red rag in his hand, a few bolts in the other. Nick wasn't too certain on his particular feelings about Daryl, but he sure as hell knew how the others felt about the man. Redneck trash. The phrase had been thrown Nick's way so many times in his 20 years of living and he was sure Daryl had faced the same sort of thing, whether it was true or not.

He couldn't see his relation to Merle, at least not appearance-wise. He was pretty sure Merle didn't have that mole above his lip. Nick shook his head.

"No, I did. Douche bag's what I meant." Shane looked at Daryl like he was the dog shit smeared on the bottom of his shoe.

Nick turned away from Glenn fully, leaning back on the red car's hood to face the arguing men, biting back another sigh.

"Merle Dixon-" Shane pursed his lips, looking back at Daryl with a tense jaw. "The guy wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying of thirst."

Rick shook his head. "What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me. I cant let a man die of thirst- me. Thirst and exposure." Shane sighed through his nose, looking like he wanted to say something as he gripped his hips with his hands.

"We left him like an animal caught in a trap. That's no way for anything to die, let alone a human being." Nick watched as Daryl squirmed ever-so-slightly at the comment.

"So, you and Daryl, that's your big plan?" Lori voiced, sat on a nearby log with her son, mocking the idea outwardly. Both Nick and Glenn turned to face her, watching her glare at her own husband.