15: Head Over Heels Infatuation

TW: mention of rape

TW: mention of rape

So, I had an anxiety attack. At least I think that's what happened. I've never had one before. I was once told I had anxiety though by a school counselor. I didn't think much of it before.

I looked over at Dylan. He was still in my room and I don't know why. I had already apologized. He said it was okay. He should have left by now.

"So."

He looked over at me. "What?"

"Why are you still here?"

"I don't know. I guess I wanted to make sure you were okay. You kind of went crazy, you know."

"You don't have to remind me."

"I just really don't understand what happened. Did you have like a panic attack? All I did was touch your arm, like what-"

"I was fucking raped, okay. You touched me and you sent me into panic mode, I guess." His eyes went wide and he looked away from me.

"I'm, uh, really sorry, Avery."

"You have your explanation, now go."

He nodded and stood up. "If you need someone to talk to-"

"I'm fine."

He bit his lip, nodded, and left.

Now I was alone.

It was probably dinner time. I wasn't hungry, and I sure as hell didn't want to see Dylan again. I might just go to bed. I was tired.

So tired.

◐◓◑◒

I actually fell asleep this time.

I closed my eyes and collapsed into my pillow with no time to even adjust my position. But then I remembered why I barely sleep any more.

About 2 hours into my slumber, memories of...that thing...plagued my mind. I shot up in bed, the blankets damp with sweat and my breaths quick and heavy. Every time I shut my eyes I saw it again.

I pushed the blanket off of me and got out of bed. Shit, I was so tired. I left my room and walked downstairs to the bathroom. I turned on the faucet and splashed some of the freezing cold water on my face. It immediately sent a shiver down my spine and threw me into panic mode.

At least now I wasn't as tired.

I shut off the water and walked out, making sure to shut the door as I left. Once I got up the stairs, the pungent smell of cigarette smoke invaded my nose. I looked to the left.

I knew exactly where that smell was coming from.

Dylan.

His words from earlier came back to me as I stood there at the top of the stairs.