Welcome Home

Dorado, Mexico. It hasn't changed one bit. Although it could use a few touches. The streets were lit with lights, colors, piñatas, and all festive delights. The smell was unforgettable. The food and candles. She was home. She has missed it she almost forgot what it felt like to be home. "Demasiado larga Sombra. You've been gone for five years and you have missed out on almost everything. If only I had been here sooner." Sombra's eyes scanned the entire street and had chills down her spine. Memories were something that she was having trouble with. But some memories stuck with her since she had come back. "I wonder if that bakery is still around."

"Cállate, hermano." She did not expect Los Muertos to be around. She feels the need to hide from them instead of making herself noticed by her former familia. "He was even lucky I went easy on him."

"Yeah, right. You had already been hit by that Soldado many times you were crawling for your life." One of them laughs, amused to hear what a fool he made of himself.

"Cállate!" Sombra rolled her eyes. She couldn't believe that Los Muertos was still here. But she still couldn't let them see her. She vanished to keep herself from being seen and appears on a roof. She sees the tontos having a little argument about whatever it was they talked about, while she focuses on trying to find that bakery. She can still remember the people who work there. They have been like family to her for quite a while. But she was disgraced when they discovered that she assassinates the higher-ups for Talon. She felt guilty about it for a while but grew out of that guilt. "Plus, it wasn't my fault he was there! It was that chica." Sombra paused for a second. They said chica. Who was that chica? Some of the men laughed at the one who talked about the last encounter. "I'm telling you, amigos, he thinks we threatened that girl by taking her money and came after us because we took her money!"

"Alex, he wouldn't come after us for something like that. Your talking nonsense, hermano." Sombra didn't seem to know what girl they were talking about, but this man they were talking about seemed to pique her interest. Who was this man? That's why Sombra began to question herself. She used her hacks to find recent activities in Mexico. She found some results that will probably lead her to find out who this person is. She found sightings of a man in a jacket with a number on his back. 76. His face was covered by a mask and goggles to cover his identity. But Sombra knew that she would have to dig deeper than that. She did some research and tries to find the first sighting of this man they call 'Solider 76.' And what Sombra found was mind-blowing.

"Come on, let's prepare for Dia de los Muertos."

"Oh yeah. Tomorrow is the day of the dead. Too bad I have no one to celebrate it with. I don't even have an ofrenda." She didn't have a familia. No one to celebrate it with. This made her feel guilty.

"Okay, we have flowers, ingredients for the tamales, fruta... I feel like there is something I'm forgetting." That voice was familiar to Sombra. The girl looked like she was preparing for The Day Of The Dead tomorrow. A bike carrying a crate full of flowers and candles that she is expected to bring home. "No. No, no, no, no, no!! My money! I left it at the store. Why does this keep happening?" She looked and sounded familiar. Sombra looked deeply into her memory and found out that the girl was a little friend she knew, Alejandra. She had grown up so much that Sombra hardly even recognizes her. Her heart was beating and she had butterflies. She wanted to see Alejandra, but it would be odd for her to see Sombra on a roof. So, she wanted to surprise her.

~

"Gracias, again I am so sorry."

"No problem, niña. You just stay safe."

"I will." Alejandra jumps onto the bike to bring all that she needs for the Holiday to ride back to her house. It was a quick stop, but it was worth it. "Now I've got everything. I can't wait to get started tomorrow. " Alejandra was just excited that tomorrow was the day of the dead. She gets to see all the pretty colors and the place will be filled with music and everybody celebrating life. But what she loves the most about this day, is that she gets to have a break from helping Mama with baking. That was the best part. After a day of baking so much, she gets to have fun. "Oh no." Alejandra was feeling discouraged when she stopped at the stairs that lead to her house. "Sigh, guess I'll have to get Mama for this."

"Or I can help you." Alejandra's heart skipped a beat. A voice had frightened her. She looked to where the voice was and saw a dark figure. She thought it was the person who saved her, but she was mistaken.

"Who are you?" The figure stepped forward to Alejandra and appears out of the shadows to reveal who they were.

"Hola, Alejandra." Sombra spoke with a friendly smile. Alejandra was indeed surprised and she was happy to finally see her old friend. She ran to her and hugged her friend.

"Sombra! It's you! It's you!"

"Look at you, how you've grown. How old are you now?"

"I'm twelve. But look at you. You look so pretty!"

"I'm always pretty, niña." They both were extremely excited to see each other once again. They both worried that one of them wouldn't see the other again. But that day hasn't come. And with a moment to spare, they took their time to visit and Sombra help Alejandra bring the decorations to her house.

"Thank you for helping me."

"De nada. I have to ask," Sombra heaved and thought about what words to say to her little friend. She finally let out a sigh, setting down the flowers, ready to speak. "Did anything happen while I was gone? Anything that I would know?"

"Um, Oh! Yes, something did happen. And you won't believe it!" Sombra did not know what had happened after being gone for a while, but all she knew is that she was home and with her family.

~

Alejandra was excited to talk to Sombra about what happened last month. She told the story the best way she could and was just at that moment enthusiastic. Her voice would make Sombra feel so happy. "I was afraid of him after he beat one of the men. The men from behind him were trying to get away from him as soon as they threw this little bomb. I thought I was gonna die!"

"I'm so sorry, niña. I wish I was here sooner. But what happened?"

"He saved me." Hearing that come from her mouth made Sombra feel something tickle the back of her mind. Why would he save her after acting so violently? He didn't hold back the feeling of destroying them. So why save her? "I was afraid of him at first, but he didn't seem as mean when he saved me. I think he's one of those heroes. He doesn't think he's a hero, but to me, he will always be my hero." The way Alejandra talk about him just made Sombra feel like she doesn't deserve to tell her what she was going to tell her because it would hurt her feelings. So she decides to let Alejandra and her story be and just be thankful that she is still alive.

"That was dangerous, muchacha. But I'm glad that he was there. You know, I heard one of the men who took your money talk about you."

"Really? What did they say?"

"They were paranoid about what happened. Saying you were the one responsible for him showing up."

"Oh."

"But if they ever try to come near you while I'm here, I will make sure they know not to mess with you. Okay, niña?"

"Okay." Alejandra smiled. She knew that no matter what that Sombra would never let anything bad happen to her. She trusts her with all her heart and did not doubt that she would be there for her. "Te quiero,  Sombra."

"Yo también te amo."